PowerEdge 1800 Amber alert light

Servers

Servers
Information and ideas on Dell PowerEdge rack, tower and blade server solutions.

PowerEdge 1800 Amber alert light

• Hi,

Apologies if this question has been asked 100s of times - I have been through the first half a dozen pages or so of the forum.

Our main DC is a Dell Power Edge 1800 and in the past week the amber alert light has started flashing on the front panel.

How do I discover which problem it's reporting? From what I can see both power supplies are running (well they both spin and have green LEDs on them) and the server is located in a server room with 2 x AC units which should be cool enough.

Disk maybe?

Any advice, links, etc greatfully recieved!
  • This can be anything health related on the server.  You  should load the Dell OpenManage Server Administrator.  This will allow you to view the server health logs.
  • Hi, had a look at open manage and the only alert that I can see is that the SATA controller firmware is out of date - but would that cause the amber light? And if so it must have _always_ been out of date?

Have installed updated firmware and am just waiting till lunch to schedule a reboot.

Will wait and see I guess!
  • Nope, installed firmware and rebooted server today and amber light is still there.

Open Manage now has no errors!

I do have an event log error 11 in the log;

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Scsi\adpu160m1

Does this indicate that I have a SCSI controller/termination issue?
  • Click on Main system chassis and then on the Health Log link in the right hand window.
  • All green ticks...
  • Run this program: ftp://dropbox.us.dell.com/dropbox2/ips/DSET/DSET-Windows/Dell_DSET_1.3.exe

Choose "Create report only".  When the options screen comes up check off advanced reports and nothing else.

It will create a .zip file on the desktop of the server - email it to me: mark_a_smith@dell.com

• It's on it's way....thanks for having a look!
  • This was in your health log:

Mon Sep 04 13:51:17 2006PROC Machine Chk processor sensor transitioned to non-recoverable

Troubleshooting for this type of issue:

Swap your processors (if you only have one then reseat it)
    Clear the hardware log and monitor ( you can rerun the DSET utility - one of the install options is to clear the hardware log)

• Thanks Mark,

Will try this on Monday and report back!
  • Mark,
    i know this is an old thread, but i'm having the same issue as the OP.  can i send you this report as well?
    Thanks,
    Brian