PE 2800 How to Remove Cover?

Servers

Servers
Information and ideas on Dell PowerEdge rack, tower and blade server solutions.

PE 2800 How to Remove Cover?

• I've just received my PE 2800 and I can't find any documentation on how to open the case! I've reviewed the booklets as well as the CD-ROM manual and installation guides, but to no avail. This seems embarassingly obvious, but I'm stumped.
  • The front panel needs to come off before you can undo the hardware that holds the cover on. It slides off.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pe2800/

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
    I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
    The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

•  There are approximately 29 screws in the front panel. That's what made this seem incorrect to me in the first place.  Again...I see no diagram of which screws to remove.  All of them? Some of them are phillips head and others need an allen wrench.  All of the documentation just assumes you already have the cover removed. 
  • The entire cover does come off. However only the top part needs to be removed for the basic needs. There are NOT 29 screws in the top. Specifically there are large "Thumb Screws" at the top front. You will see Arrows on the top that
    look like <-> indicating that the top slides off to the rear. 2 Screws using a #2 Phillips should do the trick.

The hardware you need to loosen has thumbscrews that do not have knurling on them like the ones that hold the unit in the rack. The other hardware on the front that looks like TORX T15/Flat blade variety is NOT supposed to come out unless you are trying to remove the ENTIRE cover.

Message Edited by SpeedStep on 12-09-2005 01:13 PM

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
    I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
    The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.