Forums

Servers

Servers
Information and ideas on Dell PowerEdge rack, tower and blade server solutions.

Knoppix from USB

This question is not answered

Just wondering if anyone has had any issues booting knoppix 6.7 from a usb drive on an r710. I've got a usb stick with knoppix on it, and it works fine on my xps 15, a 2950, and a host of other machines, but multiple r710s hang it while its booting. A quick search of the forums didn't reveal any easy answers, just wondering if anyone had seen this behavior. 

All Replies
  • Hi FerretMan,

The 2.6.39 kernel in Knoppix 6.7 is probably not too old for the R710 though I suspect there might be an older driver trying to initialize a controller or NIC or even the chipset that is newer and unsupported by the old driver version and hanging it, or a necessary driver is absent from the kernel config. I haven't used Knoppix in quite some time but I seem to recall there was a failsafe option that wouldn't load any drivers and just try to get you up to a minimal root shell, and also an interactive/expert mode that prompted before loading each driver. If that's still a feature you could probably use it to find out what driver it's hanging on or if something else might be the problem. Also I see there is a newer version than you have, 7.0.4. I am not sure if that is an option for your use case but it may be a possibility. Let me know what you find out and if we can help in any way.

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)