PowerEdge 2950 reporting "E2119 Fatal SB Mem CRC", before and after memory replacement.

Servers

Servers
Information and ideas on Dell PowerEdge rack, tower and blade server solutions.

PowerEdge 2950 reporting "E2119 Fatal SB Mem CRC", before and after memory replacement.

This question is not answered

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone else has ran into this.

The server is a PowerEdge 2950 II running 8X 2GB chips, and recently presented the E2119 Fatal SB Mem CRC error. Did some article reading and seemed that replacing the memory would clear it.

I replaced the server memory last night with ram from another PE 2950 II that was working and this morning its generating the errors again.

Anyone have any recommendations on what else to do? I was thinking it might be time to replace the motherboard but I wasn't sure.

Also to clarify, the server was off and un-plugged during the memory swap for around 8 minutes. (I gave extra time for everything to clear out).

The memory I replaced it with is memory that came from another server that has been running for a couple years with no problems whatsoever.

Thank you guys and gals!

All Replies
  • Geekmaster64,

What is the current BIOS version?

If it is out of date it can cause memory errors.

Here is the current version of the BIOS 2.7 update.

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

If the BIOS revision is really far back then refrain from jumping to the most current. You will need to step it up to current.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
    Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
    Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• Oh boy...

Well, I just logged into our Vsphere client and found that its presently running 2.6.1

Sounds like that is pretty far back, do I need to do stepping in a proper order? Like 2.6.1 - 6.3 then 6.5 then 6.8 then 2.7.0?

Are there any good guides or walk-throughs that help out with doing a bios update on this server with ESXi 4.1.0 ?

Thank you Chris for the help!

• You are fine with the 2.7 version. Clear the hardware log via the CTRL-E Drac/ESM prompt on startup afterwards and let me know how it goes.

Chris Hawk

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• Do you mean that I'm fine running 2.6.1? (your quote stated I was fine with the 2.7 version)

If so I'll give that a shot! Thank you very much for the help!

• You won't need to step up is what I meant. You can run the 2.7 update.

Chris Hawk

• Hi,

I have exactly same problem - same situation with the difference that my server is running bios 1.1.0 :)

How many jumps would you suggest in versions before reaching 2.7.0? and which version you think would be sufficient as mid steps.

Thank you.