DRAC4 Reset

Servers

Servers
Information and ideas on Dell PowerEdge rack, tower and blade server solutions.

DRAC4 Reset

This question is answered

Hello all,

I'm having a headache with my DRAC4 card on my PE2850 running Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS. I need to reset the root password on it, and I've been reading everywhere to use the racadm command. Ok, well I installed the Dell OM software, and went into the /opt/dell/srvadmin/bin folder, and I have 3 different racadm commands I could do (I'm assuming for different DRAC versions): idracadm, racadm4, racadm5.

When trying to execute the racadm4 and racadm5 commands, it says it doesn't have a DRAC on board or the software is not present. Well, I know for a fact there is one of board, and I JUST installed the software, so that doesn't make sense.

When using the idracadm command, I actually get a response, but run into constant errors. Like so:

./idracadm racresetcfg
ERROR: Unable to perform the requested operation.
If the operation attempted was to configure DRAC, possible reason may be that Local Configuration using RACADM is disabled.

./idracadm racreset
ERROR: A firmware update is currently in progress. Unable to reset the RAC at this time.

When trying to disconnect Virtual Media, as someone suggested to me:
./idracadm vmdisconnect
ERROR: Unable to disconnect Virtual Media devices.

Any help is appreciated.

Verified Answer
  • Hello Incarna

The syntax of the command is:

racadm config -g cfgUserAdmin -o cfgUserAdminPassword -i 1 NewPassword

The command is likely not working because Ubuntu is not a supported OS. You will probably need to boot to another OS to run the command. Here is a link for OMSA live. It is a CentOS distro with our utilities.

http://linux.dell.com/files/openmanage-contributions/omsa-65-live/OMSA65-CentOS6-x86_64-LiveDVD.iso

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

All Replies
  • Hello Incarna

The syntax of the command is:

racadm config -g cfgUserAdmin -o cfgUserAdminPassword -i 1 NewPassword

The command is likely not working because Ubuntu is not a supported OS. You will probably need to boot to another OS to run the command. Here is a link for OMSA live. It is a CentOS distro with our utilities.

http://linux.dell.com/files/openmanage-contributions/omsa-65-live/OMSA65-CentOS6-x86_64-LiveDVD.iso

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• Wow, really? I thought Ubuntu was popular enough for Dell to support.

Thank you for the suggestion. The command racadm is not present in the bin directory, so instead I will try the Live CD you provided a link for.

I will post again when I have tried it.

• Ubuntu, while popular as a client OS, is less so as an enterprise/server solution.  More mainstream enterprise linux distros - RHEL and Suse - are generally supported on Dell servers.  The 2850 started shipping in 2004 - before Ubuntu was even released, so there was obviously no designed effort to support it.  Its popularity may have earned it limited support by Dell over the years (such as OMSA will now install on it) - and it may continue to get more support as/if it continues to grow for server solutions in the future.

• I ran the Live DVD, booted up to a gui (ew), and ran the terminal. Typed in the command you mentioned above, but it said command not found. What bin is the command in?

• Ok, I was stupid and didn't go back into the right directory. I was able to reset the DRAC back to factory settings. Thanks Daniel for the link to the ISO and the solution.

• Good morning.  I am getting a very similar issue, however I am confidant I am using a supported OS - Windows Server 2003 SP2 x86.  I do not know the current password, so i have installed racadm and OMSA on the machine that has the DRAC in question.  I am running the following command:

C:\Program Files\Dell\SysMgt\rac5>racadm config -g cfgUserAdmin -o cfgUserAdminPassword -i 1 calvin

and:

C:\Program Files\Dell\SysMgt\rac5>racadm config -g cfgUserAdmin -o cfgUserAdminPassword -i 1 "calvin"

Both return the following error: ERROR: Modifying the user configuration at index 1 is not allowed.

I have also tried: C:\Program Files\Dell\SysMgt\rac5>racadm racresetcfg

And get the following error:
    ERROR: Unable to perform requested operation.If the operation attempted was to configure DRAC, possible reason may be that Local Configuration using RACADM is disabled.

I am totally stumped how to reset this DRACs password.  Maybe you can help?

John

• Hello John

What output do you get with this command? racadm getconfig -g cfgUserAdmin -i 1

That should display the account information for the root user account(Don't put a unique password in the forums). If you still get errors that racadm commands are disabled then boot to CTL E and reset to defaults. You can also manipulate the user/pass from the CTL E BMC BIOS if you want to try changing the password there before resetting to defaults.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger

• I initially went to CTL E and reset the values.  When i run the command i get the following:

C:\Program Files\Dell\SysMgt\rac5>racadm getconfig -g cfgUserAdmin -i 1

# cfgUserAdminIndex=1

cfgUserAdminUserName=

# cfgUserAdminPassword=******** (Write-Only)

cfgUserAdminEnable=0

ERROR: Failed to get object value.

• What version of OMSA is installed and what server is this? This appears to be a communication issue between the DRAC tools installed in the OS and the DRAC itself. The next step will be to make sure you have a compatible version of OMSA on the system and uninstall/reinstall OMSA. If the problem continues then I will be inclined to believe the DRAC is malfunctioning.

Daniel Mysinger