2950 fan / temp control?

Servers

Servers
Information and ideas on Dell PowerEdge rack, tower and blade server solutions.

2950 fan / temp control?

This question is answered

Is there no control circuit for the fans in my Poweredge 2950 related to the actual temperature of the system? The server is in a room that is about 40 degrees, so the fans don't REALLY need to be running at high (though not highEST) speed as they are. They were relatively good until I put 16G of memory in and now they spin so fast that the system is often reporting that it is too COOL. I've used other PE's that seem to spin up or down based on the temperature in the case. Is there no way to do that with this one?

Thanks for any input...

Mick

Verified Answer
  • The ESM/BMC is the device that controls the fans.  If the internal temperature gets too high, the ESM kicks up the fans.  The ESM also detects hardware and adjusts the fans according to its programming.  More memory, certain controllers, expansion cards, OS load, will all cause the ESM to kick up the fans.  About the only thing you can do is make sure the ESM is up to date (after updating the BIOS, of course), as any adjustments to what the ESM deems necessary to increase the cooling will be made via this update.

All Replies
  • The ESM/BMC is the device that controls the fans.  If the internal temperature gets too high, the ESM kicks up the fans.  The ESM also detects hardware and adjusts the fans according to its programming.  More memory, certain controllers, expansion cards, OS load, will all cause the ESM to kick up the fans.  About the only thing you can do is make sure the ESM is up to date (after updating the BIOS, of course), as any adjustments to what the ESM deems necessary to increase the cooling will be made via this update.