Poweredge T110 and installing video card

Servers

Servers
Information and ideas on Dell PowerEdge rack, tower and blade server solutions.

Poweredge T110 and installing video card

This question is not answered

I wanted to see if anyone has had any updates regarding putting a video card into poweredge T110 and if you have what kind of video card did you use?   In order for you to install and use the video card did you have to disable something in the BIOS regarding internal video.  Any detailed info would be greatly appreciated

thank you

All Replies
  • In order for any video card to work, it has to be able to disable (or take over) the internal video, as there is no manual setting to do it. Since it is not documented, finding a card that will work is difficult. Since video cards are not supported in servers, the option to disable is not in the bios.

• I wanted to thank everyone on here regarding the poweredge t110 and video card.  T110 has in its bios an video disablbe feature. Once i did that i was able to use the pci slot to insert a video card. I used like the one someone on here suggested  

NVIDIA GeForce G210 512MB DDR2 PCI Express Video Card and worked with dual monitors. I was shocked that it was that easy to do. :)  Nvidia card i purchased on ebay for $29.95 +3.41.  Going to purchase another one now for my other T110 computer.

thanks again for the input and advice on this website

I just hope my other questions for the other computers turn out as easy.

• So how did you disable the internal?

• The T110 does have a BIOS video disable function. Access the BIOS (F2) at Dell splash screen. Then in the BIOS select Integrated Devices. The you will need to scroll to the bottom to EMBEDDED VIDEO CONTROLLER and set it to Disabled.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
    Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
    Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• Hi Mr. Dell-Chris H,

Pls help me.

I couldn't modify EMBEDDED VIDEO CONTROLLER setting.

I can't even select that setting. :(

Thanks.

• @nyinyithann:

You need to have a graphics card attached to disable that feature.

• Poby,

I have a Dell T110 running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise and I tried inserting an ASUS NVIDIA geforce 210, a very similar setup to yours.  After disabling onboard, the 210 works just fine for DOS/BIOS viewing, but black-screens or BSODs when Windows tried to load.  Any ideas??

Thanks!

• What brand of "NVIDIA GeForce G210 512MB DDR2 PCI Express Video Card" did you use?  

Did you have to adjust IRQ settings in the BIOS?  Anything else special?  

I am using an ASUS NVIDIA geforce 210 and ....  it no worky!

Thanks.

• I returned my ASUS NVIDIA geforce 210 and bought an ATI Radion 5450 HD silent video card.  Installed effortlessly and works great.  Now I have dual monitors on my Dell power edge T110.  Only problem is that the ATI Management GUI that runs in the system tray crashes occasionally.

• Did you install driver for the video card?  I did the another T110 and used a driver, before the driver installed it didnt work either.  

• After trying a dozen different video cards I have discovered a few things:

You CANNOT put a card in that requires a power connector, even if you upgrade your power supply.   Could not get ANY card to work, no matter how cheap or expensive.

No BIOS option in the T110II to disable the on board video.

upgrading/downgrade the Bios does not matter.

Messing with the IRQ assignments does not make a difference.

Exact same NVIDIA chip on different card manufacturers may or may not work.

I could not get anything from Radeon to work.  I did not try many since I am partial to NVIDIA.

Best card I finally got to work is the ASUS GTX650-E-2GD5.  EVGA, MSI and so many other manufacturer's card with the same GPU chip failed to work. This is the fastest card I can find that does not require a power connector but yet still has 2gb of DDR5 memory.  My Windows 7 Experience score for this card is 7.4 out of 7.9.  The GTX660 and above fail, the GTX640 and below all worked.

None of the Quadro cards would work no matter the manufacturer.  The ONLY reason I wanted a Quadro was for the NView desktop manager that allows different backgrounds on each monitor.  I run a two monitor system.  I shoot panoramas and like to have a pano span both monitors.  I found a hint somewhere that allows NVIEW to load for your GeForce card.  Create a shortcut to the NVIEW installer and use the -f argument to force an install.  You need to edit your two images to match the resolution of your screens before specifying them.  I now have two different background images spanning across my two monitors AND have a hot rod NVIDIA card.  Playing games and rebooting do not mess with the backgrounds.  My system performs as if I had a Quadro card.

• The Dell PowerEdge T110 II Sytems Owner's Manual, dated February 2011 Rev A00 (being the latest version i have found), states that within the Integrated Device Screen of System Setup Options (BIOS) you have Embedded Video Controller option which allows you to enable or disable the integrated video controller. The associated note also states that the field for this option can be set to disable only if an add-in video card is present. All this is on page 30 oh the HOM...

The above means you must install a graphics card and then jump into bios where you will be able to change the option and disable the embedded video !!

So, i'm surprised you could not disable the embedded video controller... If this is the case as you say, either the documentation is faulty and Dell needs to update it's documentation or or much more concern is that Dell has updated the BIOS and removed this "option" !

Not surprised that there is no reference in Dell's BIOS release notes that makes any mention of removing any BIOS options related to embedded video controllers (if this is the case), only that Dell added "support for BIOS setup menu" (whatever that means) in BIOS versions 1.1.1, 1.2.4. The latest BIOS is 2.8.0.

Now my concern is that if Dell has indeed changed the BIOS in the T110 II, and removed an existing BIOS option, what is there to stop them doing the same on my T610! The very fact that Dell may deliver such a change in this way is very concerning. The fact that there is an updated BIOS available for my T610 leaves me feeling my investment in a T610 may be destroyed if such undocumented "changes" are indeed included in BIOS. Such undocumented changes, if they exist in the T610 BIOS will result in my inability to use my machine as i have configured it. Even if Dell documents such change, this would leave me unable to update BIOS and utilize any fault corrections that Dell delivers via BIOS update...

Maybe i'm over reacting but can't stress how concerning this is for me Super Angry

Does anyone have a clear answer as to whether the the T110 II with the latest BIOS still has the option to disable the Embedded Video Controller?

Does anyone know if such "feature" removals are ever delivered via BIOS update by Dell?

And a comment to you DLSNET, do take note that the available x8 PCIe slot in your system is limited to 25W max according to Dell's documentation (Technical Guide). Your graphics card may or may not be able to pull a full 75W from the slot since the motherboard/BIOS may or may not be designed as a graphcis capable slot. It would be prudant to limit yourself to a low power (25W) graphcis card or answer such unanswered questions, otherwise you may have unexpected video driver crashes when working (playing) hard...

It would be great if some Dell designer could lay to rest such power issues by stating what type of slot they actually designed on the T110 and T610's, that is if they designed a graphics capable slot and hence the power negotiation at startup will allow the card to pull the full 75W from the slot. Obviously they have certified 25W per PCIe slot from a cooling perspective (as stated in their documentation) but cooling issues are a little easier to resolve...

• My T110II does NOT have the option to disable the on board graphics card when I have a graphics card installed.  I have BIOS 2.8.0. 

Been gaming for weeks now with my ASUS graphics card installed.  No crashes or slow downs. Prior to this card I was running a PNY NVIDIA based card with 512mb memory and dual DVI connectors for years without any issues.  Manufacturers have published specs which sometimes do not reflect what a system is actually capable of.  If Dell said that their slot can work with a 75W card, they would have to support that.  After all, this is a server not a workstation.  The T110II is not designed to be a gaming platform in the first place. 

If there is a concern about updating a BIOS, don't.  If your system is working, why mess with it?

• Well then, it seems that Dell has an issue with their documentation, on multiple fronts, in that the HOM definately states that the Embedded Video Controller BIOS option exists while the BIOS Release Notes make no mention that this BIOS option was removed ! IMHO it is poor form that Dell do not keep their documents accurate or updated but history tells me not to hold my breath for any documentation updates!

It's also very SONY to remove a feature (PS2 otherOS) after a sale has occured, something that resulted in me avoiding SONY at all costs... Now what to do about Dells adoption of this SONY behaviour?

And just like other manufacturers, Dells specs can leave a lot to be desired but IMHO its better to have accurate technical specs that can be relied on rather than to ommit capabilities or ommit restrictions as often happens these days. So with respect to this particular issue, stating that a x16 slot is 75W capable but due to cooling issue the cards must be limited to 25W is much more 'specy' accurate than to say "25W per slot" (something that could easily be included in the Technical Guide as well as the spec sheet itself).

Pity that over the years specs seem to have devolved from providing real technical information into some form of sales liturature. It's probably due to the rise of bullet point lists and a too busy attitude leaving people feeling they have no time to digest technical information - so expect to see spec videos next year... just kidding... maybe not Stick out tongue).

As for my T610, since BIOS updates often include microcode updates along with fault corrections and security fixes, it's prudant to consider installing the BIOS updates, even if the machine is running fine. Unfortunately if one can't trust Dell's BIOS Release Notes, as seems to be the case now that Dell sneeks an undocumented removal of a useful feature on T110II, I can no longer resolve any microcode updates, fault and security fixes via the BIOS updates due to having a video card setup and fearing it may BORK it) Sad. So i must reevaluate a future update to better dual processors.

In your T110 II case, it's great that the 75W card works for you so enjoy it Smile

Just kep in mind that if you had used the BIOS feature to diable on board video and then made a BIOS update, the card you used may no longer work post update. And that would not be nice Indifferent