Switch out 18GB drives for 36Gb drives ?? - PowerEdge HDD/SCSI/RAID Forum - Servers - Dell Community

Switch out 18GB drives for 36Gb drives ??

Servers

Servers
Information and ideas on Dell PowerEdge rack, tower and blade server solutions.

Switch out 18GB drives for 36Gb drives ??

• Hi, I have a PowerEdge 1650 with Perc 3/Di, and 2 18Gb disk drives (mirrored). We need to add more space to the server. Would it be possible to take one of the drives off line, rebuild the mirror with a new 36Gb drive, and then repeat with the second drive to give us a total of ~36gb mirrored? We currently have logical disks C: and E: in the container. Will we be able to add the additional space to the E:?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

• That is correct.

Replace one drive at a time, waiting for the raid controller to rebuild the replacement drive. Once both drives are rebuilt, you can expand the volumes.

Good luck.

• The question now is, once done how do we increase the size of the drive (E: in his case)? Sorry if this seems a basic question, but I've never needed to do this before myself.

I'm in a similar situation except that I have a PE6400 running Win2000 server and a PERC2 with a RAID 10 array comprising 6 9Gb drives partitioned 4Gb(C:) + 19Gb(D:) + 2Gb(E:) but I want to expand the size of the D: drive. I only use the E: drive as a dedicated swap partition so I can move the swap file temporarily to the C: drive and delete the E: partition if needed.
  • Update from Dell

It seems that the Perc 3/Di RAID conroller does "not" support volume expanding. What I had to do in this situation is the following:

1) Ghost the box
    2) Replace drives
    3) Install barebones OS
    4) Restore with ghost with new partition size.

• Thank You for the Info. Too bad the volumes can't be extended :-(
  • after some additional thought ... can I get you to clarify what you mean when you say the volume cannot be expanded. Do you mean that the E: drive cannot be expanded, or do you mean that the mirrored array cannot be expanded to use all ~36Gb? If so, would it be possible to define a second mirrored array using left over space on the new drives? (I doubt I would do this, but am just wondering if it is possible).

If its just that the E: primary partition cannot be expanded, I can always create an F: or something.

Thanks.

• what are the odds for success ghosting a Netware 6.5 partition?