Hard Disks for PowerEdge 2950

Servers

Servers
Information and ideas on Dell PowerEdge rack, tower and blade server solutions.

Hard Disks for PowerEdge 2950

This question is answered

Hi , we are trying to get some new disks for our Dell PowerEdge 2950, but our provider tell us that theres no supply of disks because of the flood  problems in Thailand. So the question is if exist  any special specification of the hard disks for that machine so we can get them on our own, or if any of you have a recommendation we will appreciate it.

Thanks and regards .. 

Verified Answer
  • Here are some hard drives available from Dell for the PE 2950

Part # HY366 - 250GB 7.2K RPM Universal SATA 3Gbps 3.5-in HotPlug Hard Drive for Dell

Part # NX816 - DELL - 73GB 15000RPM SAS 3GBPS 2.5INCH HARD DISK

There is a shortage out there but they can be found if you look in the right places.  Like the sites theflash listed..  Let us know if you have any further questions.

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• If they will not be in a multi-disk RAID array, then it won't matter if they are SAS or SATA (although NL-SAS will cost a little more at 2TB than a SATA drive).

If Dell doesn't have what you need, you should be able to find third-parties that do:

http://www.xbyte.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=CAT_147_9 SATA
    http://www.xbyte.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=CAT_1257_9 NL-SAS

Note that the 2950 supports either 2.5" or 3.5" drives, but not both ... you will need to shop for the size your server has.

All Replies
  • They must be enterprise-class drives, and they should be Dell co-branded (certified) drives.  Cheap consumer/desktop/laptop drives aren't going to cut it.

impactcomputers.com/dellparts--parts-for-dell-poweredge-parts-for-dell-poweredge-2950-storage.html

http://discountechnology.com/

Are you looking for SAS or SATA?  Are they replacements, adding storage, rebuilding server?  How many do you already have?  Type?  Configuration?  Plan?

• Here are some hard drives available from Dell for the PE 2950

Part # HY366 - 250GB 7.2K RPM Universal SATA 3Gbps 3.5-in HotPlug Hard Drive for Dell

Part # NX816 - DELL - 73GB 15000RPM SAS 3GBPS 2.5INCH HARD DISK

There is a shortage out there but they can be found if you look in the right places.  Like the sites theflash listed..  Let us know if you have any further questions.

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• Hi thanks fow answering, the new disks have to be SATA, will be for adding storage , currently we have only 1 of 160GB (initially were 2  but one died RIP) , so we want to upgrade at least to 2 TB (depending of the prices) initially we want to  using them in RAID0 and with linux LVM , no mirroring.

Best Regards

• If they will not be in a multi-disk RAID array, then it won't matter if they are SAS or SATA (although NL-SAS will cost a little more at 2TB than a SATA drive).

If Dell doesn't have what you need, you should be able to find third-parties that do:

http://www.xbyte.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=CAT_147_9 SATA
    http://www.xbyte.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=CAT_1257_9 NL-SAS

Note that the 2950 supports either 2.5" or 3.5" drives, but not both ... you will need to shop for the size your server has.

• Thanks for the info ,

Best regards

• Part #  6C10R --- 2TB SATA-ES, 7.2K, 3.5", Hitachi Jupiter K

• Hi Willy M , can you provide me the link of the info that you posted ?? please .

Thanks

• Here is what I got after a simple google of the part number:

www.serversupply.com/.../6C10R.htm

• Ok, thanks I thought it was at dell website ..

• NEED SATA 2TB EACH, SIX DRIVES CONFIGURED IN RAID 5. I HAVE 750 GB DRIVES THAT I WILL REPLACE FOR INCREASED STORAGE. USING LINUX.

• What exactly is your question?

Are you planning on replacing/rebuilding one disk at a time with the larger ones or doing a backup/restore to the larger array?

(I think your CAPS LOCK key is stuck.)

• I will install 6 new 2 tb disks on raid 5 for use as a storage server. Will the PowerEdge 2950 recognize the 12 tb? thanks

• Yes, as long as you are using a PERC 5 or 6, 2TB drives are supported and 12TB is not too large an array for the PERC to handle.

Just some things to note:

• Six 2TB drives will not give you 12TB in storage space (unless you do a RAID 0, which I would STRONGLY discourage); RAID 5 would be 10TB, RAID 6 (PERC 6 only) would be 8TB; RAID 10 would be 6TB, etc.  If you don't understand this already, then you should do some intensive homework before proceeding.  Also a 12TB chunk of storage would probably only be around 11.2TB of usable space (after the math).
    • Depending on your OS, you may not be able to use one single array (called a Virtual Disk) over 2TB for your boot disk.  If this is the case, you would either need to make two VD's across the disks, with one smaller than 2TB; or you would need to group two 2TB disks in their own RAID 1 for the boot disk.
    • You cannot replace each 750GB disk with a 2TB disk and rebuild it into the array to make the array bigger.