Adding Global Hot Spare to Current Raid5 setup in T710

Servers

Servers
Information and ideas on Dell PowerEdge rack, tower and blade server solutions.

Adding Global Hot Spare to Current Raid5 setup in T710

This question is answered

Hello,

I have a T710 setup with 4 SAS HDD's in a RAID5 configuration.  They occuppy slots 0,1,2 and 3.  I would like to add(introduce) another HDD as a global hot spare for this array.  I have added another identical HDD in slot 4.  How can I make this a global hot spare?  Can I do this through OSMA or do I have to due this in the BIOS?

Thank you

Verified Answer
  • "Foreign Configuration Operations......" then Clear.

All Replies
  • It can be done in the BIOS (CTRL-R BIOS utility for the PERC controllers):  Highlight controller, F2, Assign Hot Spare.

It can also be done from the dropdown menus in OMSA:  Storage, PERC, Virtual Disks or Storage, PERC, Backplane/Connector, Physical Disks.

• Hello Flash - thank you for youe reply.  I went into the OSMA and the disc shows foreign - the only options from the drop down menu are blink and unblink.....I just want to be careful I do it right so as not to screw up the raid array.......

• Any time a drive has a configuration on it from another controller/array, its configuration on the disk will be flagged as foreign and wait for you to do something with it.  Storage, PERC, Information/Configuration (link at top of the page), Foreign/Clear from the dropdown menu; you don't want to Import it.  Once cleared, then you can add it as a HS.

• From within OSMA I select storage and then the information/configuration at the top, then I get a global proerties with the only selection on the drop down menu to set hot spare protection policy.....when i drill down to the newly inserted disk, the only choices I have are blink and unblink......

• In OMSA, go to Storage, then PERC, then Information/Configuration ... you want the dropdown menu of available tasks for the controller itself.

• Ok - followed that and the available choices on the dropdown menu for Controller Tasks are:

Create Virtual Disk........

Reset Configuration......

Export Log........

Set Patrol Read Mode.......

Change Configuration Properties.......

Foreign Configuration Operations......

• "Foreign Configuration Operations......" then Clear.

• Got it  - thank you for your patience :)