Unexpected Sense. SCSI sense data:

Servers

Servers
Information and ideas on Dell PowerEdge rack, tower and blade server solutions.

Unexpected Sense. SCSI sense data:

This question is not answered

I have a whole lot of these messages in my Alert Log.

'Unexpected sense. SCSI sense data: Sense key: 3 Sense code: 11 Sense qualifier: 0: Physical Disk 1:0:6 Controller 0, Connector 1'

Have also been getting a lot of Microsoft warnings about the virtual disk.

All the physical disks seem to be okay, but there are several warnings in the Event Viewer that says "an error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk5 during a paging operation"

Do I need to run a chkdsk or is there something else going on?

Thanks,

KBeau

All Replies
  • The Sense key code qualifier are used to help troubleshoot possible SCSI drive issues.

This one indicates" Medium Error - unrecovered read error ".

en.wikipedia.org/.../Key_Code_Qualifier

First thing I would suggest doing is going to support.dell.com, download and apply current firmware and driver updates.

support.dell.com/.../downloads

Ensure open manage is up to date. Once it is then use it to run a consistency check on the array that 1:0:6 is part of.

Then run 32 bit or PE diagnostic on the drive. And proceed with replacement if the error continues.

Keep us updated.

Thanks.

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• Thank you Daniel Co.  All firmware and drivers are up to date as is the Open Manage application.

I ran a chkdsk on all 6 physical drives and when it completed the drive with the Sense errors went in to a Predictive Failure status.  Dell is shipping me a new drive and it should arrive today.

KBeau

• Another question . . . I now have the replacement drive, but . . .the failed drive is the only drive on a RAID 0 array.  I have moved the current data on the predicted failed drive to another RAID 0 array but am wondering, is this hot swappable or am I going to be presented with a Foreign Configuration requiring a reboot and such?

• I am not sure what server you have, Raid controller, etc. But if the drive is 80 pin, has a drive caddy and plugs into a backplane, then it will be a hot plug drive.

If it is 68 pin, and has cables running to the drives, then it is not hot plug.

Once the old drive is removed, you will need to delete the RAID 0 configuration. You can delete that configuration in the controller BIOS, or inside open manage. Then install the replacement drive, and create a RAID 0 on the replacement drive. Format and restore your data to that drive.

Once that is done you should be good to go.

Thanks

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• Since the drive cannot be rebuilt in a RAID 0, you will have to delete the original RAID 0 array for the failed disk, then create a new RAID 0 for the new drive.  What system do you have?  If the drives are accessible from the front of the outside of the machine, then they are hot-swappable.  If they are cabled internally, they are not (however, if they are SAS drives, they can be disconnected/reconnected "hot").

• I'm sorry, I guess I should have indicated a few things!  I have a PERC 6/i Integrated with 6 virutal disks RAID 0, each array has only one physical drive.

So, it looks like I need to Delete the current 'bad' drive virtual disk and the remove it, insert the new drive and recreate it with a RAID 0?  I'm not concerned with the data that is on it.  That has been moved to another virtual drive until this has been resolved.

• And, yes the drives are all accessible from the front and I do have OMSA installed.  This can all be done via OMSA right?

• Right.  Sounds good.

• Thank you all for your help!  I love this forum!