Forums

Servers

Servers
Information and ideas on Dell PowerEdge rack, tower and blade server solutions.

how to clear a 'foreign' state from a replacement sas drive on a perc 5/i

This question is answered

Our perc 5/i with a raid 1 configuration in a PE2900 had a virtual drive 'degraded'.  Per dell server administrator a drive had a 'foreign' state.  Not sure if the drive was bad or not, we got a used replacement drive, hot-swapped it and it also has a 'foreign' state.  How can I erase the foreign state and have it rebuild the raid 1?  I've been in server administrator but haven't found where I can clear the foreign state from the drive or have the raid rebuilt.  Any help would be appreciated or maybe a link to the perc 5/i manual that decribes how to clear a foreign state.  Or should I contact dell support?

Verified Answer
  • To clear the Foreign flag from the drive, you will go into OMSA ... Storage, PERC 5, Information/Configuration link at the top of the page, Clear Foreign Configuration from the drop-down menu of available tasks.  Do this ONLY when the system is running fine and there is only one drive showing Foreign.  If you have more than one disk showing Foreign, then you have to Import the Foreign Config.  Anytime there is a config/timestamp different from the controller's config, it will show Foreign, so if it is only on a single disk, clear it and move on.

I would test your original drive, as it may not be bad.  Make sure your system firmware (BIOS, ESM, RAID) and RAID driver are up to date ... this can help prevent Foreign configs.

• VD MGMT screen, highlight the controller, F2, Foreign, Clear.

All Replies
  • To clear the Foreign flag from the drive, you will go into OMSA ... Storage, PERC 5, Information/Configuration link at the top of the page, Clear Foreign Configuration from the drop-down menu of available tasks.  Do this ONLY when the system is running fine and there is only one drive showing Foreign.  If you have more than one disk showing Foreign, then you have to Import the Foreign Config.  Anytime there is a config/timestamp different from the controller's config, it will show Foreign, so if it is only on a single disk, clear it and move on.

I would test your original drive, as it may not be bad.  Make sure your system firmware (BIOS, ESM, RAID) and RAID driver are up to date ... this can help prevent Foreign configs.

• I know it's a really old post but still useful.  Thank you.

• What if I deleted the foreign VD? It happens to have been the OS drive. Can i create a new VD and install the OS again? The other Raid 5 VD is still there and intact.

• Keep in mind we have no way of knowing how much of your situation is different/same, but if you "cleared" the foreign config and now want to reinstall the OS, delete and recreate the VD before proceeding.
  • I'm running into the same problem, however the system will not boot and does not have Windows installed. It is an ESXi server. Is there another way to reset the "foriegn" status of the drive? A commandline/boot disk type tool?

• Only if you have the OpenManage VIB installed. Alternatively, you can boot to t he CTRL-R utility for the PERC during POST.

• I have been doing ctrl-R, however there does not appear to be any way of changing the "foreign" tag using that utility. The only actions that appear to be available on that drive is to turn on or off the LED blinking.

• VD MGMT screen, highlight the controller, F2, Foreign, Clear.

• That did it. I was looking in the PD MGMT screen not the VD MGMT screen. Thanks!