Setting up PE2950 w/PERC 5/i - PowerEdge HDD/SCSI/RAID Forum - Servers - Dell Community

Setting up PE2950 w/PERC 5/i

Servers

Servers
Information and ideas on Dell PowerEdge rack, tower and blade server solutions.

Setting up PE2950 w/PERC 5/i

This question is not answered

Okay, I've set up several PE2850 servers with PERC 4/i RAID controllers. When I powered up my newly acquired PE2950, I expected it to be similar. I'm not getting very far in the configuration. Here's what I have and am trying to accomplish. ANY advice will be greatly appreciated!!!!

My plan is to use this server as a backup or secondary SQL server. Server came with 6-1.5TB drives. What I intend to do is set up drives 0-1 as a RAID 1 for the OS. Since I did not need that much wasted storage space, I swapped 80GB drives into these slots. I intend on setting up either 3 of the 1.5TB drives as a RAID 5 leaving one drive for HS, or setting up 4 drives in a RAID 10 with no HS.

When I boot and go into (Ctl-R) configuration, I see one VD and the 4-1.5TB drives in that array as a RAID 5. Under the VD Mgmt tab, the two 80GB drives in slots 0-1 show as missing. Under the PD tab, they show as 78GB drives and ready. I see no options to put these drives online and therefore do not have the option available to create a new VD with these 2 new drives as members. I'm stuck.

I'm sure there something small i'm overlooking but since this is my first go-round with a PERC 5/i, I need some advice. Any suggestions or help is GREATLY appreciated!!!!

All Replies
  • For version 2.24?  I've used these way too many times for this to be a deal-breaker during the install (unless this is specific to FLOPPIES).  Besides, I'm not sure how we missed this question, but the OP's problem was not driver-related.