Could i swap out the RAID controller in my Dell R710 with one that does not rely on a battery at all?

Servers

Servers
Information and ideas on Dell PowerEdge rack, tower and blade server solutions.

Could i swap out the RAID controller in my Dell R710 with one that does not rely on a battery at all?

This question is answered

Is there a RAID controller compatible with the R710 which does not use battery but instead Capacitor plus flash? 

Verified Answer
  • andy318
    Would this product from Adaptec work in the R710 server - www.adaptec.com/.../5z

I don't know. We haven't validated it to function in the server.

andy318
    Would installing it affect my R710 warranty?

No, your warranty would not be affected in any way. The only issue you need to be aware of is that if you encounter problems related to 3rd party products in the server then troubleshooting may require it to be removed. You may encounter a lot of resistance with getting HDDs replaced when using a 3rd party controller.

Daniel Mysinger

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

All Replies
  • The H700/H710 comes in an NVRAM version (512MB or 1024MB).

discountechnology.com/Dell-PERC-H700i-342-1198-512MB-Integrated-Controller

• But my understanding is that the H700 (& H800) NV version still use a battery backed cache. The advantage of the NV storage is to stash cache contents on power failure so that the data is preserved much longer than battery drain time.

Having a battery backed cache means we have to endure battery learn cycles which has bitten us in the past.

I dont know about the H710 but is that compatible with PowerEdge R710? I thought it only worked for R720

• Seems you are right (I was under the impression it was unnecessary for the NVC - but I suppose there are those who might like to preserve the cache for 10 years (?!)):

Non-Volatile Cache

Dell PERC controllers with non-volatile (NV) cache use the standard battery as contained in the Dell PERC controllers with a battery back-up unit (BBU). The difference is in battery implementation:

•  The battery in the BBU offering retains the data in cache in the event of a power cycle for a guaranteed period of 24 hours (typically up to 72 hours).
    •  The battery in the NV cache offering will transfer the data from cache to flash in the event of a power cycle, where the data will be retained for up to ten years.

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pvaul/en/perc-technical-guidebook.pdf

So, that said, the only RAID controllers that do not use BB cache are the lower-end H-series controllers (H200, H310, SAS 6/iR) - nothing on the high-end, but they also do not use cache at all.

(Yes, while technically the H710 is for the 12G servers, there is probably no real reason one could not install one in an R710 (just like installing an H700 in a 9G server - it works, although not supported - in fact somewhere here someone has done such an upgrade).)

Good luck.

• Hello andy318

andy318
    But my understanding is that the H700 (& H800) NV version still use a battery backed cache.

That is correct. Flash backed cache is a new feature of our 12th generation controllers(H710).

andy318
    Having a battery backed cache means we have to endure battery learn cycles which has bitten us in the past.

Our 12th generation controllers with flash backed cache still perform battery learn cycles. The volatile cache is much faster than the non-volatile cache. It is not  feasible to use the NVCache during normal controller operation. It would be faster to not have cache at all. When the controller experiences power loss it copies the data from the volatile cache to the non-volatile cache.

andy318
    I dont know about the H710 but is that compatible with PowerEdge R710? I thought it only worked for R720

The 12th gen controllers have only been validated to work in our 12th gen controllers. If you attempt to install an H710 in an 11th generation server then be sure you get the adapter version of the controller. There are three versions of the card adapter, mini, integrated. The adapter version is a normal PCIe device and would be the most cross-compatible.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• Thanks. So it sounds like H710 is not what i'm looking for anyway (since it still uses a battery backed cache). Would this product from Adaptec work in the R710 server - www.adaptec.com/.../5z

• andy318
    Would this product from Adaptec work in the R710 server - www.adaptec.com/.../5z

I don't know. We haven't validated it to function in the server.

andy318

No, your warranty would not be affected in any way. The only issue you need to be aware of is that if you encounter problems related to 3rd party products in the server then troubleshooting may require it to be removed. You may encounter a lot of resistance with getting HDDs replaced when using a 3rd party controller.

Daniel Mysinger