No storage controller message in PE 1950 boot\starup

Servers

Servers
Information and ideas on Dell PowerEdge rack, tower and blade server solutions.

No storage controller message in PE 1950 boot\starup

This question is answered

Greetings all!

I am new here, so please forgive me if I break any netiquette rules inadvertantly.

I'll keep this short.

Just purchased a used Dell PowerEdge 1950 (Service Tag: < ADMIN NOTE : Service tag removed per privacy policy >)

16GB Ram (Max 32GB)
2 x Xeon Quad Core 2.33GHz/8M/1333 SLAC5 E5345
DRAC
PERC5i (?) may be non-raid - SAS
SAS backplane

I intend to use SATA II drives in it, so I purchased 2 SATAu drive trays and 2 interposers (PN939)

I'm trying a Western Digital 80 GB WD800JD as the boot\system drive and will ad a 2TB drive once I get the OS installed (W2K8 R2).

** Here's the problem:

I don't see the drives in the bios (not listed in boot priorities), and in fact, no storage controller related prompts or message show up when the system is booting (no ctrl M, R, S, or A).  The only prompts are for the NICS and the Baseboard.

Just to see if I could make something happen, I pulled the memory DIMM out of the controller card, and it did generate an error. Replacing the memory got rid of the error, but no configuration options get show, either.

This server should have a PERC5i, and I don't even care if it's non-raid as long as I can see and use the disks.

There is a controller card of some kind in it, and it has a cable connecting to the SAS backplane.

The two green drive tray lights do come on very briefly when the server powers up (so the trays are getting power), but they never come on after that.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Please help if you can - I am very frustrated! :)

Here's the full list of euipment that SHOULD be in the server although I can't guarantee that some has been changed:

1 DT097 Printed Wiring Assy, Planar Server Chassis, Dell Computer Corporation, PE1950, G1
1 FG027 Card, Backplane, Key, TOE, 2PORT Enterprise Systems Group
1 GF677 Processor, 80555K, Xenon Dempsey, 5050, LGA771, C1
1 0R215 Cord, Power, 15A, 125V, 10, 5-15/C13
1 4D175 Cord, Power, 125V, 10 Feet, 2TO1, SJT...
1 HY105 Power Supply, 670W, Redundant Delta Products
1 TU005 Assembly, Card, PERC5I, SAS PowerEdge 1950 and 2950
1 TX846 Assembly, Cable, Controller SAS, POWEREDGE EXPANDABLE RAID CONTROLLER NUMBER...
1 J7846 Printed Wiring Assy, Riser Server, Dell Computer Corporation, PE1950, PERIPHERAL COMPONENT INTERCONNECT EXPRESS ..., LEFT...
1 JH879 Assembly, Printed Wiring Assy Riser, Center, Multi Sheet Inserter, PEX950
1 TX235 Kit, Documentation On Compact Disk, Document Object Model V5.2, World Wide
1 RP016 Assembly, Compact Disk Drive 24X, 12.7MM, Hitachi Lg Data Storage, Black
1 U7824 Printed Wiring Assy, Backplane Server, Server Chassis DELL1950, 3.5SASX2
1 0R215 Cord, Power, 15A, 125V, 10, 5-15/C13
1 GG460 Kit, Strain Relief, Cable, Power
4 UW727 Dual In-line Memory Module 512, 533M, 64X72, 8, 240, 1RX8
2 UX856 HARD DRIVE..., 160G, S2, 7.2K, 8M, LEAD FREE..., SGT-TNK
1 YC585 GUIDE..., GETTING STARTED..., P1950, DAO/BCC
1 HM430 TECHNICAL SHEET..., NETWORK..., ETHERNET..., BROADCOM CORPORATION..., DOPP
1 UN317 ASSEMBLY..., CHASSIS..., 3.5HD, 1U, PE1950, II
1 MJ048 Kit, Documentation On Floppy Disk, Transmission Control Protocol Off-Load Engine
0 2260R PREPARATION MATERIAL..., DEV, SRV, INCRS #1
1 H7511 Assembly, Carrier, Blank, Hard Drive, Universal, 1IN, 2
1 FC023 Assembly, Bezel, 1U, PE1950
0 5R203 INFORMATION..., FLYER, DOCUMENTATION...
2 H9122 Assembly, Carrier, Hard Drive Serial ATA, 1IN
1 MW370 Kit, Rack Rail, Rapid/Versa Rail1U, slide, P1950, V3
0 1212T INFORMATION..., TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1 NP544 Guide, Product, Information Poweredge/powervault, DAO/BCC

Verified Answer
  • Sean,

With the 512 installed it will disable the card. So you won't get the prompt. Now when the replacement gets in, be sure to  power down the server and then remove the raid battery BEFORE installing the dimm. As it will damage the dimm if installed with the battery connected. After installing the dimm you can reinstall the battery.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
    Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
    Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

All Replies
  • Sean,

Go to the BIOS (F2) and then under Integrated Devices you will see Integrated SAS Controller, is that set to enabled? If not then enable it and then you should get the CTRL-R prompt for the Perc 5/i on reboot.

Chris Hawk

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• I'm in that part of the BIOS right now, and I don't have "SAS Controller" - instead I have "Integrated RAID Controller" - and I have it set to enabled.

Do you think maybe that someone has a SAS backplane connected to a SCSI controller card?

I just pulled the daughter card\controller card out.

Here are some details, in case it helps:

Stickers:

REV A01

CN-0TU005-13740-737-00DW

On the chip in the center of the board:

LSI LOGIC

62089A2

LSISAS1068 80

T 0651

W3151098 1

ARM

X

FUSION-MPT

The ram I am using in the controller card is:

512mb 533hz unbuff ecc

110-1092-00

Does that provide any important detail or give insight to a bad config or bad controller card?

• Sean,

The Perc 5/i requires a 256mb dimm. It will not function properly with a 512mb installed. The dimm you need is part number - 6R829.

Chris Hawk

• Also, there seem to be two connections on the daughter card: a white one and a black one - the cable to the backplane is connected to the white connector...

• OK, I will look for that part.

Would the lack of that part result in no RAID setup being shown?

In the mean time, I have a 256MB DIMM that fit the slot; it's Nanya 256MB 1Rx16

PC2-4200U-444-12-C1

It's also not making the config screen show - should it?

• Before we get into more questions, THANK YOU, Chris, for your help so far! :)

• Ok, I just purchased 6R829 - it should arrive within the week.

Just so I can know how likely it is the lack of this memory is\was the problem, have you seen before the behavior I described, where no storage controller messages at all are shows during start-up?

• Sean,

With the 512 installed it will disable the card. So you won't get the prompt. Now when the replacement gets in, be sure to  power down the server and then remove the raid battery BEFORE installing the dimm. As it will damage the dimm if installed with the battery connected. After installing the dimm you can reinstall the battery.

Chris Hawk