Poweredge SC1420 failed RAID5 Array

Servers

Servers
Information and ideas on Dell PowerEdge rack, tower and blade server solutions.

Poweredge SC1420 failed RAID5 Array

This question is answered

I'm looking for some help or advice.

I have a client with a Poweredge SC1420.  Of course they do not have it under contract.  This morning they heard a loud high pitch noise.  When I can in there was a message saying "No boot device available".  When I CRTL+A and go into the RAID Configuration it says the array status is failed.  It sees all four drives.  The controller is an expansion card with sata cables connected to the drives.  I think the drives are ok but I a want to be sure.  I am leaning toward buying an new controller.

Any thoughts? Comments?

Thanks.

Verified Answer
  • Before replacing any parts. I suggest running diagnostics first, to help pinpoint what parts should be replaced,

support.dell.com/.../download.aspx

Running an express test will perform a quick test over most all components.

Thanks

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• In the controller BIOS, under controller configuration you can silence the alarm.

Alarm Control (Default: Enabled)-Select Silence to silence the alarm for the current event (if any) without preventing the alarm from sounding during a future event. Select Disabled to silence the alarm for the current event (if any) and prevent the alarm from sounding during a future event.

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

All Replies
  • Before replacing any parts. I suggest running diagnostics first, to help pinpoint what parts should be replaced,

support.dell.com/.../download.aspx

Running an express test will perform a quick test over most all components.

Thanks

• Is there a way to disable the high pitch noise?  It runs while I am running diagnostics.  It is so horrible.  It is just a constant noise.

• In the controller BIOS, under controller configuration you can silence the alarm.

Alarm Control (Default: Enabled)-Select Silence to silence the alarm for the current event (if any) without preventing the alarm from sounding during a future event. Select Disabled to silence the alarm for the current event (if any) and prevent the alarm from sounding during a future event.

• Did some diagnostic testing.  2 of the drives failed the Drive Self Test (Short).  Did I get hit with one of those terrible occurances where 2 drives failed at once?

• Two drives being bad would certainly cause a failed array. You can do some simple things, such as checking data and power cables.

But the end result with two failures is to replace the drives, recreate the array, then restore from backup.

• My client is looking into a new server and I am looking into restoring the data from backups.  Thanks for all the help.