Storport Driver Information for PERC 5/E 5/i Adapter

Servers

Servers
Information and ideas on Dell PowerEdge rack, tower and blade server solutions.

Storport Driver Information for PERC 5/E 5/i Adapter

This question is not answered

Hi to all!

A PE2950 has both PERC 5/E and 5/i adapter installed. All drivers/firmware are updated with SUU 6.2.0.

Now the OMSA  complains the Storport driver for both adapters would be out of date. Actual version is 5.2.3790.3959 and the "Minimum Required Storport Driver Version" should be 5.2.3790.4173. The driver download page shows only a XML file for download and the explanations for this file are rather comfortless.

Now my question is how can I bring the driver up to date and  what about this XML file.

Thanks in advance

With kind regards

All Replies
  • Storport is a Microsoft driver you need to get it from their web site.

go to www.microsoft.com and search for KB943545 (the Knowledge Base given on the Dell file).

• Hi!

Many thanks for Your answer. Sorry for my dumb question, but I do consider a XML always as a container for complex information and not for simple text.Embarrassed I'd download these hotfixes and will test it.

I've got an additional info from DELL telephon support, they say I need this microsoft hotfix  only for a iSCSI application.

So thanks again.

with kind regards

• There is actually a newer storport hotfix that 943545; 957910 is an update.

Member since 2003

• Hi!

Thnx again! This update comes for the next maintenance day to the right time.

with kind regards

• is the storeport driver dependent on any of the  firmware or driver before installing?

• It is installable as a hotfix after installation.  You could probably add it to your image pre-install if using MDT ... if you wanted to.

• I think it is wrong of Dell to program Open Manage to show the storport driver version as being wrong and showing it as a warning for a driver that Microsoft does NOT give out freely.

The driver in question can NOT just be downloaded from Microsoft (without first requesting it by filling out a form) and it is NOT provided as a standard windows update.

If an administrator were to truly trust Open Manage, then they should fix all warnings and when we tell Microsoft that we want the update because Open Manage told us that we need it Microsoft laughs at us and tells us that the hotfix mentioned above is only for a specific issue and has nothing to do with Dell's Open Manage....thus the flaw in Open Manage reporting that the driver is NOT updated to the correct version.

• Just because you have to fill out a form to obtain the hotfix (as all MS hotfixes require) doesn't mean it is not "freely available" - that is simply how MS distributes their not-applicable-to-everybody-and-to-all-situations hotfixes.

Microsoft doesn't know (or care) about OMSA - they issued a storport driver hotfix for certain errors/situations; Dell engineers recommend that this latest storport version/fix be used to prevent these, related, or similar problems from occurring on Dell RAID controllers and/or with Dell drivers, as this storport driver is used in conjunction with the operation of the PERC's; this is communicated to the admin via the warning in OMSA.

• This is the EXACT reason that Dell should either provide the driver, or patch Open Manage to stop showing this as an error.

If this is such an error, Dell should provide the driver, or stop telling admins around the world it's bad NOT to reaplce the driver.

So we are now expected to accept that it's an error Dell should not be warning us about and that the driver is not REALLY needed. Ok, Dell stop asking us to TRUST Open Manage warnings, if Open Manage is warning us about un=necessary driver updates.

Can we trust Open Manage or not?

Dell asks us to blame Microsoft. The warning comes from Dell's Open Manage, not Microsoft.

• Your argument makes no sense ... at all.

• It makes perfect sense.

#1) Microsoft does NOT just give this driver out, you have to beg for it, and you only get it if "they" feel your explanation of why you need it fits their idea, and they are in a good mood and decide to let you in on this big Dell?Microsoft secret drive file.

#2) It is Dell's Open Manage Software that claims NOT having the file is a problem.

So my question (directed at Dell) not some flashinthepan is,

"Dell, if the driver important enough you have to warn us we need to update the dang thing, why can't we have the dang driver?"

"Can I have an answer from Dell support about this, I mean you have had a number of years to fix this or supply the driver, but instead you keep releasing revisions of Open Manage and each and every version of Open Manage show the only drivers most can lay their hands or are wrong.

I requested the correct driver more than a year and a half ago, and was told by an MS rep that my needs did not justify the driver update/patch.

I did manage to find 5.2.3790.4021 by running WindowsServer2003-KB932755-x86-ENU.exe. I think I got close and found a few patches named WindowsServer2003-KB932755-x86-ENU.exe as well as WindowsServer2003-KB883646-v2-x86-enu.EXE but neither of those would install over top of SP2.

So can Dell help fix this issue, or will they once again blame Microsoft even though it is THEIR software that claims there is a problem.

• 1. I've never had to beg or even provide a reason for it.  Provide email, get link.  ALL hotfixes are distributed this way.

2. OMSA is informing you that the PERC requires this Microsoft hotfix (a special version of the storport driver) for best reliability and compatibility.

"So my question (directed at Dell) not some flashinthepan is"

You don't get to post in a public, user-to-user forum and dictate who can/can't reply.  (it's "the flash" because I run fast)

"Dell, if the driver important enough you have to warn us we need to update the dang thing, why can't we have the dang driver?"

Dell does not reissue Microsoft USB drivers, why would they reissue OS storport drivers? 

"Can I have an answer from Dell support about this, I mean you have had a number of years to fix this or supply the driver, but instead you keep releasing revisions of Open Manage and each and every version of Open Manage show the only drivers most can lay their hands or are wrong"

Call them.  The forums are not a direct method of Support with Dell.  If you are demanding an answer, call them.

"I requested the correct driver more than a year and a half ago, and was told by an MS rep that my needs did not justify the driver update/patch."

You aren't doing something right.  I have it stored here locally, but I've requested it many times ... I have NEVER had to explain why I needed it.  Provide email, get link.  It's not that big of a deal.

I just did this process, here is the link:

http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%20Server%202003/sp3/Fix208313/3790/free/329939_ENU_x64_zip.exe