Guidelines to Quote Strings in RACADM - Failed CSR generation

Servers

Servers
Information and ideas on Dell PowerEdge rack, tower and blade server solutions.

Guidelines to Quote Strings in RACADM - Failed CSR generation

This question is not answered

Hi, I've been tearing my hair out trying to generate a CSR through RACADM. From what I've observed it appears that the documentation regarding "Guidelines to Quote Strings Containing Special Characters When Using RACADM Commands" in iDRAC 7 is incorrect but then again maybe I'm missing something obvious.

At first I thought it was my scripting that was causing the issue but I've stripped the example back to simple RACADM on the command line.

In the example above I set iDRAC.Security.CsrOrganizationName using double quoted string (as per the guidelines) and it appears that the value was successfully set however when you attempt to generate the CSR, it fails with:

ERROR: The OrgName field of the CSR Security group must be configured before a CSR can be generated.

When examining the iDRAC web interface, I can see that the value was correctly set can successfully generate a CSR there, just not in the CLI.

In the second part of the example I set an org name without spaces, still in double quotes to be fair. However when attempting to generate the CSR this time on the CLI it succeeds.

Any ideas?

All Replies
  • Can you try below command to create and download CSR from iDRAC. This found to be working with space on Organization Name

racadm -r 172.23.8.216 -u root -p calvin sslcsrgen -f c:\csr.txt

Thanks-

Shine

• Hmm that sort of works if you've already generated the CSR. By that I mean you download something but it's not a CSR. If you just set the object values and execute sslcsrgen only with -f, the file you download contains the error message "ERROR: Unable to read CSR." Presumably because the CSR has not been generated.

If you specify -g and -f you run into the same error:

Generating CSR. Please wait...

ERROR: The OrgName field of the CSR Security group must be configured
    before a CSR can be generated.

There appears to be something broken here with generation and spaces in values in the CLI.