Forums

Servers

Servers
Information and ideas on Dell PowerEdge rack, tower and blade server solutions.

Lifecycle Controller firmware update fails

This question is not answered

I'm trying to apply Lifecycle-Controller_Application_F0D50_LN32_1.5.2.32_A00.BIN on our R610s since it was listed as an urgent update. The systems are running SLES11 SP1 and I get the following error on all the machines I've tried it on:

# ./Lifecycle\-Controller_Application_F0D50_LN32_1.5.2.32_A00.BIN
Collecting inventory...
Running validation...

Unified Server Configurator - Lifecycle Controller Enabled, v.1.2.0.41, A00

The version of this Update Package is newer than the currently installed version.
Software application name: Unified Server Configurator - Lifecycle Controller Enabled, v.1.2.0.41, A00
Package version: 1.5.2.32
Installed version: 1.2.0.41

Continue? Y/N:y
Executing update...
WARNING: DO NOT STOP THIS PROCESS OR INSTALL OTHER PRODUCTS WHILE UPDATE IS IN PROGRESS.
THESE ACTIONS MAY CAUSE YOUR SYSTEM TO BECOME UNSTABLE!
.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Update Failure: The file copied to the partition did not match the original file

Device: Unified Server Configurator - Lifecycle Controller Enabled
  Application: Unified Server Configurator - Lifecycle Controller Enabled

Is there any solution to this?

Sven

All Replies
  • Hi Sven,

This can occur if the update is using up the whole temporary partition, try running the following ipmitool command until it returns a 0x00 response, this should recover the partition and allow the update to work.

Linux

ipmitool raw 0x06 0x05 0x64 0x52 0x45 0x4D 0x24 0x73 0x74 0x38

Response: 0x00 0x00

ipmitool raw 0x30 0xac 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00

Response : 0x00 0x00

Thanks,

Josh Craig

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• I see the same error on a Windows Server 2008 R710.

Any Suggestions?

• Did you ever find a windows based solution for this?  I'm getting the same error when trying to update the lifecycle controller on a T410 and my searches haven't turned up much.

thx

• The instructions on how to do this fully are located at:

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&docid=599899

The instructions are for both Windows (MS-DOS) and Linux.

• It looks like I'll have to boot into another OS to get this done anyway since the IPMItools don't seem to work under 64 bit windows.  Seems like there should be a better way to resolve this.  Thanks for the info.

• I have the same issue, but seem to remember that the partition / memory size was changed in a early version of the lifecycle controller. Can Anyone from dell confirm this? And if so what version & where can it be downloaded from as the site now only shows the last 2 or 3 versions.
  • Have you tried the LC repair package via the idrac6 GUI instead of the DUP?

• LC repair package via iDRAC works a treat

•  Thanks for your link!!