ULNM - Power Source Shutoff not working

Servers

Servers
Information and ideas on Dell PowerEdge rack, tower and blade server solutions.

ULNM - Power Source Shutoff not working

This question is not answered

I have a Dell Rackmount UPS with 3 servers connected using a Network Management Card. I have been configuring each of the servers using ULNM.

The current configuration has the servers wait 30 seconds before starting the shutdown sequence whenever the power is lost. I haven't been able to figure out how to force the UPS to shutoff the power and turn it back on in order to bring the servers back up after the power has returned. On the UPS Management Card itself I configured the UPS to shutdown after a delay (Long enough for servers to fully shutdown) and restart if capacity exceeds 30%.  I assumed that this setting (under Shutdown Parameters) was referring to the actual power output?

I tested my configuration last weekend by pulling the plug on the ups.  The servers were immediately notified and after the 30 second delay they all began to shutdown.  After all 3 servers were powered off I plugged the UPS back in.  However the power output was never cycled off and on so the servers remained off. I have verified and all 3 servers are set to turn on when power is supplied (in BIOS).

I also have MUMC installed on a client computer.  When viewing the 3 servers through this interface they all show that "Power Source Shutoff" is enabled.

It is my goal that whenever there is a power outage longer than my set delay (currently 30 seconds) the servers will gracefully shutdown and then power back on when power is restored (or battery capacity reaches a set threshold). 

Does anyone have any insight into configuring this?

Thanks,
David Smith

All Replies
  • Hi David,

Is the UPS shutdown command being set with an auto restart option? Page 52 of the manual shows the conditions for when the UPS will power itself back up after power is restored ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_rack_infrastructure/dell-line-interactive-rack-ups-1000r_User%27s%20Guide_en-us.pdf

Thanks,

Josh Craig

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• I think you are right.  I am now trying to follow some directions from another manual in order to configure this using the Network Management Card web interface.

I am having trouble deciding between the following two options:

• Safe power down & reboot:

Immediately launches a sequence to switch off and then restore output power. It shuts down the powered systems during the shutdown sequence, and then switches off the output. Finally, it launches the restart sequence at the end of the time delay specified in the Toggle duration parameter. The output status is updated.

• Delayed, safe power down & reboot:

This is the same switch off and then on sequence as for the Safe power down & reboot command, but postponed by the number of seconds programmed in the Off Delay parameter.

If I choose the immediate (Safe power down & reboot) does that take into account the shutdown durations configured on the servers? Or do I need to choose the delayed option and set the delay to be >= the total shutdown duration as configured on each of the servers?

Thanks,

David

• It should take the other settings into account, page 88 of the NMC manual seems to show that, ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_rack_infrastructure/dell-line-interactive-rack-ups-2700r_User%27s%20Guide14_en-us.pdf

Thanks,

Josh Craig

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)