Dell OMSA 7.2 and VMware ESXi 5.1 -- BROKEN

Servers

Servers
Information and ideas on Dell PowerEdge rack, tower and blade server solutions.

Dell OMSA 7.2 and VMware ESXi 5.1 -- BROKEN

This question is not answered

Hi there,

Running a couple Dell R710's with ESXi 5.1 (Build 914609 and Build 799733). I've installed the OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-7.2.0-6945.VIB-ESX51i.zip on both servers. The VIB installs without any error:

# esxcli software vib install -d /vmfs/volumes/iSCSI-Equallogic/omsa.zip
Installation Result
Message: The update completed successfully, but the system needs to be rebooted for the changes to be effective.
Reboot Required: true
VIBs Installed: Dell_bootbank_OpenManage_7.2-0000
VIBs Removed: Dell_bootbank_OpenManage_6.5-0000
VIBs Skipped:

Once the host is rebooted, It appears that it's not working properly.

/opt/dell/srvadmin/bin # ./dataeng status
grep: /etc/cim/dell/srvadmin/srvadmin-omilcore/install.ini: No such file or directory
dsm_sa_datamgrd is stopped
dsm_sa_eventmgrd is stopped
dsm_sa_snmpd is stopped
/opt/dell/srvadmin/bin #

I'm not even sure what kind of functionality this VIB is supposed to provide. I'm more familiar with the full blown OMSA installs of Windows & Linux, that come with Server Administrator web interface, omreport, omconfig, etc.
All Replies
  • I think it may have been necessary to manually uninstall 6.5 first rather than having it be removed by 7.2 coming in. Now that 6.5 should be gone, can you please uninstall 7.2 and then reinstall it?

OMSA on ESXi is supported by the OMSA Web Client. If you have OMSA installed on another machine (including a workstation) you can visit https://localhost:1311/ and then enter the IP address of the ESXi server to connect and manage the ESXi server, since ESXi OMSA does not permit a direct connection the same way other operating systems' OMSAs do.

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• You can ignore the 6.5 part. I mentioned I installed this on two hosts. One had OMSA 6.5, the other didn't have any OMSA at all, and they both have the same problem.

From what I gather, this Dell OMSA VIB simply provides the ability for NMS's like Dell OpenManage Essentials to monitor the ESXi host thru CIM and some limited SNMP functionality. This is unfortunate because we try to avoid proprietary NMS's at all costs. We're a service provider and they just don't scale.

That being said, can anyone else confirm that OMSA 7.2 even runs properly on ESXi 5.1? I'm about to do some testing with the ESXi 5.1 customized ISO from Dell to see if OMSA run's properly there, and note the build of OMSA it comes bundled with.

• Thanks for clarifying. I am looking into it and will reply ASAP.

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• Hi there,

I was able to reproduce the behavior you described exactly, using a fresh install of Dell-customized ESXi 5.1 build 799733 from VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.1.0-799733.x86_64-Dell_Customized_RecoveryCD_A00.iso and OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-7.2.0-6945.VIB-ESX51i.zip . Although dataeng states a file is missing and services are not running for me exactly as it did for you, I had no trouble connecting to the host via the OMSA 7.2 Web Service running on another machine. ESXi OMSA does not support omconfig from the command line like other operating systems do, and you are required to use the web service from another host or from another management agent as you described such as OME. If you have another host already with OMSA 7.2 Web Service running you can connect to it and when it prompts you to login you can enter the IP of the ESXi host and you'll be able to manage it that way. This is the only way OMSA is supported on ESXi and I would not read too much into the behavior of dataeng observed here. Let me know if you can connect this way or if we need to take a look at something else.

• I should also add the OMSA versions must match in order to connect via the web service. You can install www.dell.com/.../DriverDetails on a Windows machine to manage other OMSA 7.2 hosts including ESXi 5.1, or for supported Linux distributions the OMSA Web Services component inside www.dell.com/.../DriverDetails will get you there.