Amber indicator light blinking - how to determine...

Servers

Servers
Information and ideas on Dell PowerEdge rack, tower and blade server solutions.

Amber indicator light blinking - how to determine...

This question has suggested answer(s)

I have a poweredge 1800 server that when we came in in the morning the server is on but the amber light is flashing. It does have a DELL CERC SATA 1.5/6ch RAID Controller with 2 drives in a RAID 1. I cannot confirm we have a failing drive or if we have some other problem. I have looked through the documentation and find nothing to help determine the issue.

Is there any way to see what the error is referring to? does anyone have an idea where i should look? I have poured through the event viewer and have only 1 entry that is from a stop error/kernal error from a driver but that was 3 days ago and I am not exactly sure when the flashing light started.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

All Replies
  • If you are running an OS that can support installing OpenManage Server Administrator, then install it and look at the Hardware Logs, that will tell you what is going on.

If your OS does not support OMSA, you can burn an OMSA Live CD and boot to it.

http://linux.dell.com/files/openmanage-contributions/omsa-64-live/

• Thanks for the reply, I noticed there is a button right next to the amber light on the back. Is that a reset button to turn off the alarm? I could not find anything on this at all.

Thanks

• Does the button next to the amber light on the back have a little "i" inside a circle?  That is the Identify button, which just changes the system status indicator to flashing blue.  Are you hearing an alarm noise?  If so, you are probably having an error in your PERC controller.  Restart the server and use the Ctrl key sequence to get into the PERC configuration utility so you can see what is the problem.