Windows 2000 VPN

Servers

Servers
Information and ideas on Dell PowerEdge rack, tower and blade server solutions.

Windows 2000 VPN

• I am attempting to set up a VPN so remote users can acess shared drives on my company's network through their home DSLs. When I attempt to set up the VPN through routing and remote acess, i can get as far as the "Internet Connection Screen" where i am given two choices, and local area connection. When i attemp to choose "local area connection" i am given the error "You have chosen the last avalible connection as teh internet connection, a vpn server requires that one connection be used as the pricate network connection." When i have chosen my vpn has been inacessable from outside my LAN. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Chris Morecroft

Dell Poweredge 300
    Windows 2000 Server
    3 COM Etherlink XL 10/100 PCI TX NIC
    800 MHz PIII
    256 MB ram

• You need a second NIC so your server can act as a router to your internal network. FYI - you are opening up your internal network to the world if you do this.

-B

• I know this is an old post, but how would you be opening your entire network if you used the server as a VPN router? My understanding is that VPN is very secure.   Also if you had a NIC, could you connect that to a stand alone router for VPN access?

Cheers

• ckrow,

He is opening his entire network to the internet. All the VPN does is provide a Secure Tunnel from his network to a remote user. It is does not in any way protect his server/entwork from the internet.

In these situation it is far more economical and reliable to user a hardware firewall that provides VPN instead of using a 2K server to provide the VPN.