Latitude E6420 HDD Password Stopped Working After Removing Admin and System Passwords - Dell DSS - Security - Dell Community

Latitude E6420 HDD Password Stopped Working After Removing Admin and System Passwords

Security

Security
All things Dell Security related

Latitude E6420 HDD Password Stopped Working After Removing Admin and System Passwords

• Hello,

I was helping somone who accidentally set BIOS and HDD passwords on their Latitude E6420 in an attempt to change their Windows password.  They had the correct passwords and the system was working and booting to Windows, but they wanted to get rid of the password prompts at startup.  The system password and hard drive passwords were different passwords.  When I entered the BIOS it also asked for an admin password which was the same as the HDD password.  I then went into the security section of the BIOS and unset the admin and system passwords, but when I got to the HDD password it would not take the password anymore.  I saved and exited the BIOS and it no longer asks for a system password at boot up, but it is still asking for an HDD password and is no longer accepting the password that had previously been working.  I tried putting the system and admin passwords back, and it still won't take the hdd password.

So here's how it was originally set and was working just fine.

• system password: password1 (not actual password)
    • admin password: password2 (not actual password)
    • hdd password: password2 (not actual password)

I then attempted to remove the passwords

• system password: cleared
    • admin password: cleared
    • hdd password: said password2 (not actual password) was invalid and would not let me clear it

I then set the system and admin passwords back to how they were.  I had to remove the hard drive in order to do this because the BIOS would not let me set an admin password when there was a password protected hard drive present, I put the hard drive back in after.

• system password: password1 (not actual password)
    • admin password: password2 (not actual password)
    • hdd password: still not working

Is there a certain sequence that has to be followed when removing the passwords that I did wrong?  Is there any way to get it back to working with the passwords like it had been originally?  I know the password can be reset with a master key, but it will wipe the drive, which I am trying to avoid if possible.

• Hi brookcomdell,

We may have the ability to reset these drives. sadly we cannot do this through our Forums currently. it would be best to contact into our hardware support queues with the service tag of the drive. you can contact our hardware queues via phone, chat or email for this issue based on your service tag here:

please let me know if they are not able to assist, and we can work together to get you going.

Dale

L4 Support

Dell Data Protection | Encryption

Need Immediate help? Please call DDP |E Support @ +1.877.459.7304 Ext. 4310039