Ransom Ware - Dell DSS - Security - Dell Community

Ransom Ware

Security

Security
All things Dell Security related

Ransom Ware

This question has been answered by DELL-Steve O

My laptop was just ransomed by a group claiming to be DTS , had all my warranty information , and used www.fast access.com. Not being supportive of this type of activity, I chose not to pay , but now have a ransomed laptop. WHat can be done to recover the hardware ? Is the main board affected or just the hard drive ? Thanks for any suggestions

Verified Answer
  • Hello Orrsa,

Sorry to hear about that.  Typically in these types of attacks the computer hard drive is encrypted and can be installed with a fresh Operating System.

If you go to www.dell.com/support and input your service tag that should bring up all the drivers available for your device as well as a Operating System image that you can download and use to get your machine back online.  

Best Regards,

Stephen O

Senior Principal Engineer, Support & Delivery Services

Dell Data Security

Need Immediate help? Please call DDS Support @ +1.877.459.7304 Ext. 4310039

All Replies
  • Hello Orrsa,

Sorry to hear about that.  Typically in these types of attacks the computer hard drive is encrypted and can be installed with a fresh Operating System.

If you go to www.dell.com/support and input your service tag that should bring up all the drivers available for your device as well as a Operating System image that you can download and use to get your machine back online.  

Best Regards,

Stephen O

Senior Principal Engineer, Support & Delivery Services

Dell Data Security

Need Immediate help? Please call DDS Support @ +1.877.459.7304 Ext. 4310039