Digital audio output ports; both coaxial and optical, don't seem to be working.

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Digital audio output ports; both coaxial and optical, don't seem to be working.

• I am trying to connect my Dell tv to a Sony AV home theatre receiver. All is well if I connect the digital audio from the cable box or the DVD player directly to the receiver in different input ports however I can only route the digital 5.1 Sony headphones through one of these, so I tried to connect the optical output on the TV (connector 6 on the instructions) direct to the AV System so all the sound goes through only one digital output from the TV to the AV and pass the signal through the headphones. I don't get any sound. Then I thought perhaps I'd connect the headphones (which have both an optical output and input for passthrough) to the Dell's optical output so that I could use headphones independent of the pass through. I don't get any sound there either. I am not sure why the digital optical output is not working for either of these options. If I leave it as it is, with digital audio going direct from the DVD or cable box to the receiver, then I'll only be able to use the headphones with the cable box (because of the pass through function). Can you offer me any solutions?

I tried to get both coaxial out and optical out on the TV to work with the AV system. Neither did; I tried both kinds of connectors. What I don't know is if there is any way to make this digital outputs on the TV to function through the settings within the menu.
  • The digital and optical outs are only going to work if you have some type of input of sound to your T.V. If you are connecting your DVD player to your T.V. via a component, RGB, or S-Video cable, you are only connecting video. No sound. I don't know if you know this already. Can you describe how each of your components are connected to your T.V. or receiver?
  • The DVD player is connected via HDMI to the TV, the digital cable box is connected via 5 pin RBG vid, LR aud. into the TV's ports.

There is definitely audio going IN to the TV, there is no audio coming OUT of the digital optical or co-axial ports.

Thanks,