W3706MC HDMI: no sound from DVD Player...?!

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

W3706MC HDMI: no sound from DVD Player...?!

• DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS70H
    TV: W3706MC

Problem:
    There's no sound regardless of settings on DVD player. It's connected to TV with HDMI cable. Has anybody experienced the same problem?

- Does this TV support Digital Dolby/DTS?
    - Does it use PCM?
    - Any known issue with up-scaling DVD players?

Details:
    - HDMI cable and TV ports are fine.
    - Tried the following settings on DVD:
    • AUDIO(HDMI): Auto and PCM
    • Digital Dolby: on and off
    • DTS
    • Audio DAC: 16 and 24 bit
  • Nope the TV doesn't decode DD or DTS; yes it should accept PCM via HDMI. I would have expect setting Audio (HDMI) to PCM would have done the job since that seems to override most of the other settings. But just for kicks try setting all of these:

Audio(HDMI): PCM
    Downmix: Normal
    Digital Out: Off
    Dolby Digital: D-PCM
    DTS: Off
    48/96: 48

And make sure the volume is (carefully) cranked up on the TV, the speakers enabled and mute off. Gotta say that :)

Steve.
  • I replace the DVD player but the problem didn't go away. Your recommended settings didn't help either. Now I'm sure the DVD is not the problem. Some doesn't match between the TV and the DVD player.

What's wrong?!!!

Changing ports from HDMI 1 to 2 or HDMI cable doesn't help either. :robotmad:

• I have a Sony DVP-NS75H DVD player and W3706MC (Rev 03) TV and am experiencing the same problem as wizdel. I can see video via HDMI from my DVD player but am not getting any audio from it.

I have my STB plugged into HDMI1 (using a DVI to HDMI cable) and my DVD player plugged into HDMI2 (using an HDMI to HDMI cable). Audio from my STB is plugged into the TV's "Audio IN connectors for DVI (L/R)" (that's what the manual calls it).

If I keep my STB powered on and switch to HDMI2, I can hear the audio from my STB but see the video from my DVD player. If I power off my STB and switch to HDMI2, I don't get any audio at all but do see video. I'd like to be able to get audio via HDMI from the DVD player to use with the speakers that came with the TV. How can this be done? I tried using the settings Steve suggested without any luck.

• admcool wrote:
    I have a Sony DVP-NS75H DVD player and W3706MC (Rev 03) TV and am experiencing the same problem as wizdel. I can see video via HDMI from my DVD player but am not getting any audio from it.

I have my STB plugged into HDMI1 (using a DVI to HDMI cable) and my DVD player plugged into HDMI2 (using an HDMI to HDMI cable). Audio from my STB is plugged into the TV's "Audio IN connectors for DVI (L/R)" (that's what the manual calls it).

If I keep my STB powered on and switch to HDMI2, I can hear the audio from my STB but see the video from my DVD player. If I power off my STB and switch to HDMI2, I don't get any audio at all but do see video. I'd like to be able to get audio via HDMI from the DVD player to use with the speakers that came with the TV. How can this be done? I tried using the settings Steve suggested without any luck.

Can you just confirm that when you select HDMI1 you get both audio and video from your STB?

Thanks,
    Steve.
  • Can you both try:

Audio(HDMI): PCM
    Downmix: Normal
    Digital Out: On different
    Dolby Digital: D-PCM
    DTS: Off
    48/96: 48

That would seem to force the player into PCM mode via a different route. Make sure you have no analog audio connected to the "Audio IN connectors for DVI" or the source is switched off.

I don't think this will help, but it needs to be tried.

What we really need is another TV with HDMI input just to be sure that HDMI audio is being transmitted.

Steve.
  • SteveEast, have you tried any of these players (NS70H/NS75H) with W3706MC via HDMI?

The way you suggest the settings seems that you know the details of the DVD player. Well, I'd like to know If we're sure that in some cases this TV gets the audio from this player via HDMI.

• Nope, all I'm doing is reading the Sony manual and experimenting.

I don't recall anyone posting here to say that their HDMI input *was* giving audio, but that's not the type of post this forum gets. And I don't recall anyone saying it *doesn't* work, which I would have expected to see. That's why I was concentrating on trying to be sure the Sony is sending PCM.

Steve.
  • admcool - I'm guessing this is a problem with the TV. Since you have analog audio form your STB hookied up to the HDMI analog sound inputs I bet the TV gets confused and when you switch to HDMI 2 it still thinks it should be "listening" to the analog audio inputs instead of the digital sound from the DVD player. The analog inputs for HDMI (when using DVI video) don't seem to correspond to HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 in particular. The TV I bet is missing some sort of "logic" to know how to handle a DVI/analog audio device and an HDMI device being plugged into the two HDMI ports at the same time (one with analog audio and one with digital audio).

wizdel - do you also have something sinilar hooked up to the other HMDI input?

Try unhooking the analog audio plugs and see if you then get sound from your HDMI DVD player.

• After several hours of fiddling, I have gotten the sound from the DVD player to work with my Dell HDTV, but not via HDMI. I was able to get a new STB and tested the DVD player on another HDTV via HDMI. I'll explain, but let me first answer Steve's question. Get ready for a long read. :)

My old STB only had a DVI output so I was using a DVI to HDMI cable connected to HDMI1 as well as an analog audio cable (no optical cable) that was connected to my STB and plugged into the audio connection right next to HDMI1 (the manual calls this "Audio IN connectors for DVI (L/R)."

If I turned on my STB and switched to the HDMI1 input, I could hear audio coming out of the TV speakers and see video at 1080i just fine. I was not/am not using any type of external receiver or amp. So yes, Steve, both audio and video came from the STB when I selected the HDMI1 input.

However, when I switched inputs to HDMI2 while having my STB turned on and connected to HDMI1 (with a DVI to HDMI cable) and my DVD player turned on and connected to HDMI2 (with an HDMI to HDMI cable), I could see video from the DVD player but I heard audio from the STB. So my STB was working very well on HDMI1 but I was getting video from the DVD player and audio from the STB on HDMI2.

I then tried what ZZenMaster suggested, to unplug the analog audio cables from the TV. I disconnected the analog audio cables as well as my STB and then tested the DVD player on both HDMI1 and HDMI2. I tried the audio settings on the DVD player Steve suggested (as well as other combinations) but none of them worked (just like before). I then tested the DVD player on a Samsung LCD HDTV via HDMI (using the same HDMI cable that I used on the Dell HDTV) and, to my surprise, I was able to get both video and audio via HDMI on it (again, using Steve's suggested settings)!

Follow me so far? Even with the analog video cable and the STB disconnected, the DVD player's audio still did not work via HDMI on my Dell, but did work on another HDTV via HDMI. This confirms that the DVD player is outputting PCM audio and that my HDMI cable isn't bad. At this point, I was wondering if there was something wrong with the HDMI ports on my Dell. As luck would have it, I got a new HDMI STB today so I decided to see if it had the same problem as my DVD player (no audio over HDMI).

Using an HDMI to HDMI cable from the new STB to the Dell, I was able to hear audio fine on both SD and HD channels via HDMI1 without any analog audio cables. I tested the STB on the HDMI2 input as well and was also able to hear audio via HDMI. So this tells me that both of the HDMI ports on the Dell HDTV can pass/use HDMI audio and aren't broken. The question is: why can I hear audio via HDMI from my new STB but not my DVD player?

It appears that whatever the problem is, it is between the DVD player (Sony DVP-NS75H) and my Dell W3706MC HDTV. While I'm still not able to get audio via HDMI working with my Dell HDTV and Sony DVD player, I can at least get audio from the analog cables now. After doing some rewiring, I have my new STB (HDMI to HDMI) in the HDMI2 input and my DVD player (HDMI to HDMI and analog audio cables) in the HDMI1 and "Audio IN connectors for DVI (L/R)" inputs.

My STB works fine with HDMI (both audio and video) and my DVD uses HDMI for video and the analog cables for audio now. While it would be nice to have audio via HDMI from my DVD player, I can live with analog audio until some sort of solution or fix is found for this issue.

I hope that you were able to understand most of what I said. I know that my post was very long, but I wanted to give as much detail as possible. If you have any questions, please let me know.
  • You explained that very well, it only took me one read through it.

And yes, I agree - there seems to be some sort of incompatibility between those Sony players and the Dell TV.

Can you check the manual for your new STB and see if there are any clues there? What make/model is it? And what audio settings are you using?

What was the model of Samsung TV that the player worked with?

I guess the good new is that, as you say, you have a working combo.

Steve.

Message Edited by SteveEast on 04-25-200609:55 AM

• I have made the exact connections too:

-STB <HDMI> TV
    -DVD <HDMI> TV (Analog Audio In)

Even though it works, it's not the solution to the problem yet. It would be good if DELL investigate this further somehow. I believe it's the TV that has problem detecting the audio from the DVD player.

• What would be nice is if we could connect the player into a receiver that displayed the incoming audio signal. I'd like to see it confirmed that it's PCM 2.0.

Steve.
  • Hmm...interesting. Both of you with the Sony 75 DVD player are forced to use HDMI for video but with analog audio to the Dell TV. So now you both have HDMI STB's which work fine on either HDMI port but the DVD player gets no audio despite using HDMI 1 or HDMI 2. Have you tried power cycling the TV? I'm assuming you have. I wonder if it is some HDMI/HDCP handshaking issue between the two devices.

• Well, turning off and on the TV/DVD player each time you change a setting is a hard thing to do. 

And in what order should it be (TV-DVD or DVD-TV)? Considering doing that for each combination of settings makes it kind of cumbersome.