New vs. "refurbished"

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

New vs. "refurbished"

• Today my w4201 (owned since february this year) decided to develop multiple solid vertical black lines through the middle of the screen.  Needless to say I was pretty distraught over this.

Anyway, Dell has handled the situation nicely and offered to replace my tv.  However, the technician on the other end informed me that the tv that will be shipped as a replacement will be "refurbished."  What exactly does that mean?  I payed almost 3 grand for a BRAND NEW tv and it gets replaced with a USED tv?  When I asked the technician about this disparity she informed me that the term "refurbished" does not mean USED.  She stated that a floor supervisor happens to open the box to verify its contents and the condition of the tv.  She also said that under US law they are required to call the item refurbished because of the box's broken seal.  Sounds fishy to me.  Am I receiving a used tv to replace my NEW tv? 

Chris
  • falconfixr,

In any warranty, if the service is setup inside the first 21 days from the invoice date, the replacement will be New. Ouside of the first 21 days from the invoice date, the replacement will EITHER be Used or New based on stock. We use new and refurbished parts made by various manufacturers in performing warranty repairs and in building replacement parts and systems. Refurbished parts and systems are parts or systems that have been returned to Dell, some of which were never used by a customer. All parts and systems are inspected and tested for quality. Replacement parts and systems are covered for the remaining period of the limited warranty for the product you bought.

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    #iwork4Dell
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?
    Drivers
    Order Status

• Ok, I can deal with that explanation.  However, with the refurb tv, how can I be assured of the hours at which the tv was used.  I know exactly how long my tv has been used (powered up).  Am I getting a TV with a reduced lifespan?  If so, how can this be a fair trade?
  • Don't like the exchange warranty from Dell, don't buy from Dell.  Try to find a retail shop that is better.  You won't

Banchetto 101 Case-Less System

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6640/295gtx.jpg 

eVGA 780i Mobo

eVGA 295 GTX Video

8 Gb Corsair Memory

Thermaltake TRUE Black CPU Cooler

VelociRaptor 10,000 rpm HD

Windows 7 RC 7100

• I can understand where you are coming from on this issue.......... To be fair I am in the UK and the TV  (37 inch LCD ) has only been released here a month longer than the one I have, so if it does go to the TV Heaven I at least know that what ever I recieve will be about the same age....  so for me its not an issue............. I have taken insurance out ( None Dell) that will cover repairs on it for the 2 years post warranty, and if it kicks up its heals and dies for good they will replace with new....... but that will end the warranty, saying that though it gives me peace of mind if it ever does become a Dell Toaster Mk1.