IDT Audio System Tray

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

IDT Audio System Tray

• I'm not sure where to post this message, but here goes. 

During the start-up of my XPS 400, an error message with the subject appears on screen.  I do not know what this is nor how to stop it from appearing.  I keep sending it to MS as suggested on the error, but no fix has arrived. The message keeps referring to an applciation named 'sttray.exe'.

Any suggestions?

Bob

• First, this section is not for PC audio hardware or software problems.  There is the Desktops/Audio or the XPS Desktop sections for hardware issues.  For software there is the Other Software section.

However, the ONLY Windows XP SigmaTel driver on the Dell downloads is HERE or Vista 32 bit drivers HERE and what you should be using, not a Retail IDT driver.  Only use Dell provided drivers on Dell Integrated Audio systems as the Dell implementation of the SigmaTel is proprietary.  I don't know how or where you got the IDT drivers (from a Microsoft download?) but if it was, those drivers are corrupt and do not work and the ONLY way to get it fixed is to use System Restore and restore the PC to a date PRIOR to the download. 

IDT is the new name for SigmaTel as IDT purchased the company back in the early part of this year, but the Dell drivers for your system have not been "rebranded" to IDT.   However, an "IDT" (or SigmaTel) error is NOT a Microsoft issue and reporting it to Microsoft will not do any good.

In the future post Software or hardware questions on the appropriate "Support" part of the forum. 

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• Sorry about the intrusion.  I resolved the issue on my own.  But I do want to thank you for the posting - it has solidified my decision to buy an iMac next week in lieu of the Dell I had been considering.

bob

• I'm not a Dell employee as are all the users helping users here so it doesn't matter to us either way.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• Fireberd

I can confirm that the SigmaTel driver I have just downloaded from "Dell Drivers and Downloads" and have just installed, has exactly the same problem as have numerous posts on different Forums visted to vure this problem.

I realise this is not correct forum but ib view of your reply felt I should make others aware that it is the DELL driver that causes the problem.