Axim X3i SD card issue

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Axim X3i SD card issue

• Greetings,

I've had an X5 for a year with no difficulties and recently got an X3i. The X3i will not "see" any SD card over 64Mb. Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions?

Thank You

Message Edited by Xmitter on 12-11-2003 06:22 PM

• I use a Lexar (32x) 256 card (made in Japan) and have had no problems. However, here is a site that spells out some problems with certain SSD cards and the Axim.

http://sdprob.aximsite.com/theproblemlist.htm

• OK here's my exerience. We just order 3 new Dell Axim X3i's w/256MB San disk cards for work. 1 of the axims reads and recognizes the 256 card, the other 2 don't even recoginize that something is in the slot! If I look at Start/settings/system/about; the expansion slot status says "not in use", and this is with the card in the slot! We tried using different cards with different units still no help. Finally we called Dell Support. After being on support for almost 45 minutes and doing numerous soft and hard resets, it was still not resolved. The tech guy said he was sending me some 128MB cards because there is a known issue with the 256MB cards in some Axims. So I'm waiting for the 128MB cards to come and then I'll try them. 

What is also wierd is that I had a time frame when the "about" page identified the exansion slot "in use", but it still didn't show up in the memory area.  

I'll wait and see if the 128MB cards make a difference, but I'm not holding my breath. I think there is something physically wrong with the expansion slot. I might be proven wrong.  

• Thanks OlgaJ,

I've perused all the sites related to Axim PDA's and have enjoyed reading the discussions. I believe this X3i problem is controller or firmware related but don't have enough hard data as of yet. If a solution is found I will post here.

Thanks again

Message Edited by Xmitter on 12-13-2003 11:35 AM

• Thanks JJ,

I think you're on the right track. I have SD cards of 64Mb, 256Mb, and 512Mb from a variety of manufacturers, Fuji, Lexar, and Panasonic which work just fine in my X5 but only the 64Mb cards are recognized as being in the slot by this new X3i. Dell's telephone support, while time consuming and somewhat entertaining, couldn't/wouldn't " think beyond their script", but having the calls logged may be of use eventually. I got a bit further along via E-mail to Dell tech support, but even then it took several back-and-forth mailings to get the person on the other end to begin to actually comprehend the problem, but as with the telephone support folks, having the problem logged may be good. I believe the problem is either with the card slot itself or firmware, but will keep trying to get answers.

Thanks again

• I ordered an Axim X3i and 64MB SD card from Dell.  The 64MB SD card supplied was a Sandisk.  I've read in other board discussions that this brand has a reputation for causing issues in Axims.

When I originally inserted the SD card, it showed as having almost of the 64MB in use.  I removed and reinserted it, and then it appeared as it should in the memory application of the system directory.  I ignored it for a while after that.

A couple of days later, I tried to check it again and the system indicated in all places that there was no card inserted at all.  This persisted for a couple of days, then the card reappeared to the system.  I had done some soft resets in the interim while trying to get WiFi to work with a particular access point.

I have been using the card for storage for a week or so since then.  I can save, delete, copy, etc. I can remove the card and reinsert it and the system responds properly.  I just hope everything keeps working.

• Ok so I got my 128 MB SD cards today to replace the 256MB SD card. The support guy said these cards will work with no problem.  Guess what? The axim still doesn't even recognize there is a card in the slot. I thought well lets do soft reset. Nothing. Lets do a soft reset without the card in the slot. Nothing. Lets do a HARD reset. Nothing. Lets do a HARD reset without the card in the slot. Again, nothing.  I really think there is something wrong with my SD slot on my axim. No if I can only convince Dell of that!  Stay tuned!
  • After playing a little bit more I have found another wierd thing with the SD slot. If I have it in the sync base and look at the Start/settings/system/about, the expansion slot status actually changes from "in use" to "not in use" when I remove or install the card. But in the Memory section it still doesn't show the memory, nor does it show up under file explorer as a storage card. I'm thinking about reinstalling Active Sync, doing a hard reset, and then seeing if that helps.
  • I use a Sandisk 512mb SD card on my X3i...works just fine.

• JJ-Whitey wrote:
    After playing a little bit more I have found another wierd thing with the SD slot. If I have it in the sync base and look at the Start/settings/system/about, the expansion slot status actually changes from "in use" to "not in use" when I remove or install the card. But in the Memory section it still doesn't show the memory, nor does it show up under file explorer as a storage card. I'm thinking about reinstalling Active Sync, doing a hard reset, and then seeing if that helps.

It definitely sounds like a defective unit to me. You shouldn't be going through all those hoops to get the card to be seen.

Olga

• After a week of analysis, research, and hope, I took delivery of a new replacement X3i from Dell's Tech Support and it works just fine (SD card-wise that is  - less signal level off the WiFi radio though)!!! To all who responded to my original query ..... thank you. Olga, JJ, and the rest ... I do appreciate your help ... we get better because of each other!!! If I can be of service, please ask.

Xmitter

• My Axim worked fine with the 64 meg card.  I purchased the 256 SD card from Dell and had problems:

• When the Axim is powered, it recognizes the storage card with the proper memory - and will play MP3 files from storage card.
    • When the Axim is running on battery, it does not recognize the card.

After many soft, and hard a few hard resets, I had various combinations of card recognitian.

Dell tech support confirms that there is a known issue with the Axim ... there is not enough power to power the buffer on larger storage cards when the unit is operating on battery.

As I understand it at this point, there is nothing that can be done about it.  It sounds like it will take a firmware revision from the Dell engineers to fix the problem.

• Hmmm...weird.  I have an X3i w/ a Sandisk 512mb SD card.  It works just fine.

• jgolden972 wrote:

Dell tech support confirms that there is a known issue with the Axim ... there is not enough power to power the buffer on larger storage cards when the unit is operating on battery.

From what I've heard its a hardware issue rather than an SD card problem.....  Any X3 owner noticed yet that some X3i's last longer on battery power than others?  (Hint - its linked to jgolden's quote above...)
  • ----------------------

Dell tech support confirms that there is a known issue with the Axim ... there is not enough power to power the buffer on larger storage cards when the unit is operating on battery

-----------------

Not in my opinion.  I have my Axim in the cradle fully charged.  When I insert either my Dell-supplied 64MB SanDisk or my new 128MB SimpleTech I get "Expansion Slot: Not in use".  The SanDisk was recognized once out of the box but has been dead since then.  The SimpleTech was never recognized.