Dell Axim X51v - Navteq Map updates - PDA (Axim) Forum (Read Only) - Peripherals - Dell Community

Dell Axim X51v - Navteq Map updates

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Dell Axim X51v - Navteq Map updates

• Can anyone tell me if Dell plans to obtain new map updates for the GPS software for the Dell Axim X51v. I notice at Navteq they only have 2006 mapupdates and there was no 2007 updates.
    Or, had Dell decided not to furnish the ability to obtain current map updates. Will there be a 2008 map release for the Axim X51v since there was no 2007 update....Thank you.

• couz_usa wrote:
    Can anyone tell me if Dell plans to obtain new map updates for the GPS software for the Dell Axim X51v. I notice at Navteq they only have 2006 mapupdates and there was no 2007 updates.
    Or, had Dell decided not to furnish the ability to obtain current map updates. Will there be a 2008 map release for the Axim X51v since there was no 2007 update....Thank you.

I agree. Update of the software would be nice too. Wants to run me around in circles. In my area the maps need to be updated at least once a year.

Axim x51V, Bluetooth GPS receiver.
  • I finally last week spoke to a "real" person at NavTeq. The rep. told me that there "SHOULD" be a map update this year for the Dell Axim. Well, I was told that last year when I was unable to get 2007 maps. Usually NavTeq puts out updates in early summer, so, guess we'll have to wait and see. And I agree, would be nice to get more supports for the OS for the Palm....Dell is starting to "slack" in customer support.
  • I just went ahead a bought TomTom Navigator 6. Works on the Axim x51V and Bluetooth. Map update 4 times a year and I it appears the software is much more adaptable than NavTeq.
  • As far as I know, dell isn't supporting the AXIM series any more at all. I got TomTom and like it much better. I'ts more versitle, has more input options, and works great for my geocaching.
  • 05-06-08  Thanks all for the responses. actually, last week I bought a TomTom 3rd ed. which suits me just fime. It's more versatile and belonging to MapShare is great.It's sad DELL can't supply mapupdates for users with the axim GPS software...It still works great for everything else. You'd think NavTeq would cash in on this and supply us users with fresh maps. TomTom now rules..... :)
  • Hello Inspectorstu

I heard from Navtec Jan19th 2009 after receiving an E mail from them in Dec stating they expected additional maps for Dell GPS. However on the 19th they Stated and I quote"Recently the decision has been made to stop selling the Dell Navigation application. Therefore there will be no new map data available for the application. The most recent map data available for this application is June 2006. If you would like to purchase the map data please visit www.navigation.com/dell" End of quote.

I am interested in your TomTom Navigator 6 and your comments it works on the Axim x51v. How does it work with the Axim? I would appreciate you explaining this to me.

Thanks

Pushnet

• Hello Couz_usa

I just posted an E-mail to Inspectorstu and due to my recent membership I am not aware as yet whether this gets post to all concerned. How ever the jist of the message was that on Jan19/09 NAVTEC wrote me to say they have recently made a decision to stop selling the Dell Navigation application. Therefore there will be no new maps data available. Why Dell could not tell us this is of course a mystery!!