Windows Mobile 6 for Axim x51v? - PDA (Axim) Forum (Read Only) - Peripherals - Dell Community

Windows Mobile 6 for Axim x51v?

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Windows Mobile 6 for Axim x51v?

• Any idea on when Dell will provide this upgrade officially?  The Axim x51v should be more than capable to run WM 6.

Any way for us to lobby Dell to provide this upgrade?

As for me, I probably won't buy another Dell mobile device anymore if there is no possibility of upgrade.  After all, software will keep updating, why buy a hardware that cannot take advantage of newer OS'es.
  • >>Any idea on when Dell will provide this upgrade officially? 
    Never seems to be the current plan.

>>The Axim x51v should be more than capable to run WM 6.
    Yes. There may even be unofficial versions on the Intenret that provide this capability.

>>I probably won't buy another Dell mobile device
    Correct. Dell don't seem to be makeing mobile devices anymore.

• As far as I've been reading online, looking for the same upgrade possibly through a third party provider, Dell will no longer be providing any support for the Axim Models as they have now become outdated with the new "Socket" and "Pharoah" lines of Dell PDAs.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Axim to pieces, but if I had done the proper research before purchasing it, I would have never bought it and I would have also sold my Dell Inspiron 8600 too as the support for that is dwindling with the newer lines of Laptop computers.

I believe that when you purchase a Dell product you should get support for life. Who in their right mind wants to pay up to $9.00 an hour for phone support. Granted if the issue only takes an hour to fix it's not so bad, but since I've been working for TeleCom, for some years now, I know the run around that they can give you instead of going straight to the issue at hand.

So to easily answer your question, Dell will not be providing a Windows Mobile 6.0 Upgrade for the Dell Axim Line as the support will soon be discontinued by the end of the year. Truly Sad :-(

But if they decide to, be prepared to spend an arm and a leg as "retro" things are now quite expensive.

• >>>>Correct. Dell don't seem to be makeing mobile devices anymore

Correction, Dell is still in the market with Mobile Devices. They are currently selling Palm, Nokia, Pharos, and soemthing called "Socket"? Although they probably won't offer support for them due to the sad fact that they are not "Dell Products".

• Well this is cra, I need any and all upgrades/downloads for my x51v  but when I try ti download them it says its not for my pda. Does anyone know what i need to do?  I was also hoping to get the upgrade to the WM6
  • I would like to update my Axim too.  I still can't get my Sandisk 8gb SD card to work in it.

I saw that upgrading will fix that problem.

Rob :)