Axim x5 battery door latch message

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Axim x5 battery door latch message

• I keep getting a "caution going into sleep mode because the battery door latch is open" message. However, the latch is NOT open. I've checked it and removed and replaced both batteries. Any other suggestions to remedy this problem?? Thanks!
  • Yup...Did you happen to try Dell tech support? Because they told me to "Stick a piece of paper inbetween the battery and the back panel." I asked if maybe they had some duct tape to fix it but got no response.
    I fixed it by taking electrical tape and cutting two thin slices about 1/8" wide by 1/2" long and sticking them on the bottom of the battery cover right on the two hooks that catch when you slide the lock switch over to the left.Secure the tape tightly to the form of the hooks so you don't deform the latch and use two pieces of tape so you don't cover the 4 small parallel guides that you cannot see in this picture but you will know when you examin the back of the battery cover.
    My axim is under warranty so I expected them to have me send it in so they could fix it...instead they sent me another battery cover which had no effect so I did the tape thing and I have not seen the message since.I am a technician and I have a two mottos 1. Whatever works. 2. Don't fix it, if it's not broke. This worked so I am done, if you get yours repaired by Dell let me know because as long as it's under warranty I would prefer not to NEED to do this.
  • I should have looked here first, but I also contacted Dell Tech Support.  The first guy I talked to said I needed to replace my Axim.  I kept telling him that it was the battery cover being too thin, but he insisted.  Dell sent me a new "refurbished" Axim minus the battery and battery latch cover.  I sent it back and tried tech support again.  This time the guy said he would send me a new battery latch cover and he did, but it was exactly what I already had.  I wonder if anybody at Dell has ever looked at the latch cover and noticed how flexible it is.  I'm going to try the tape thing to see if it works for me.  Thanks.
  • It has been a couple of months now and I haven't needed to repair my tape job. I have had the cover off a few times to look up  my service tag as I keep forgetting where I write it down...still no battery latch warning since I did this. Unrelated issue is my 110v charger died, DELL tell the Chinese factory the specs are NOT being met!
    or are they........

I have no idea what a computer is used for except to fix other computers.