Forums

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

lcd monitor "brightness/contrast" randomly pops up

• I have a dell model E171FP monitor that has a problem with the on-screen "brightness/contrast" window that pops up randomly in the very center of the display.  The three options displayed are exit brightness and contrast.  The blue bar that signifies the selected item appears on its own and begins to scroll through all of the options rapidly.  The buttons at the bottom of the display that are supposed to be used to adjust the monitor will only work sometimes to stop the scrolling and select exit and then actually exit.  But then the window pops right back up a few seconds or couple of minutes later.

Sometimes turning the monitor off and back on helps get rid of it for a while, but it keep coming back.

Ran AVG complete virus scan and came up clean, and I practice "safe computing" to avoid infections too.

about ready to kill it and go back to the monster CRT

Arrrgh

• red555,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Use the controls to reset the monitor. Click the link below to see how to use the controls on this monitor.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/e171fp/en/controls.htm#recall

#iwork4Dell

• Yes,

Already did the "reset all to factory defaults" routine, no help.

I did notice that the problem happens within minutes of going from the "screensaver" mode (in my case it is set to "no screensaver-blank screen" to "screen on"   the pop-up is very persistent for about 10 min then gradually get less persistent and after about 20 min of screen on (all the while working with an annoying pop-up in the middle of my workspace) it becomes "fixable" with the buttons on the monitor.

I am suspecting a humidity or temperature related intermittent failure of a circut or button on this monitor.

oh fudge, it just popped up again  (couldn't post using the first draft, had to revise)

help

• OK, apparently my bad,

I did the "reset to factory defaults" routine again and it worked!

Must have done something wrong the first time.  Anyway, the annoying pop-up is gone.

Thank you so much for your help, glad I came to this forum!