Autoadjust of screen E171FPb

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Autoadjust of screen E171FPb

• Hi there,

Since Saturday my Dell flatscreen E171FPb always autoadjusts itself when I start or restart my PC. I have had my system for 4 months already and this has never occured before. Does anyone know how to switch this off again? I couldn't find anything in the screens OSD menu.

Many thanks for your support!

Stefan

• mistitwister,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Perform a monitor reset to see if that will resolve the issue.

• Hi Jesse,

I just tried the reset and it didn't work. It still autoadjusts after restart. Have you got any other solutions?

Many thanks in advance.

Stefan

• mistitwister,

Try putting the monitor in its optimal resolution.

Setting the Optimal Resolution

For optimal monitor performance while using the Microsoft® Windows® operating systems, set the display resolution to 1280 x 1024 pixels by performing the following steps:

1. Click the Start button, point to Settings, and click Control Panel.
    2. Double-click the Display icon in the Control Panel window, and then click the Settings tab.
    3. In the Desktop area, move the slidebar to 1280 by 1024 pixels. Then click OK.
    4. Recommended frequency for best performance is 60Hz.
  • Hi Jesse,

All these settings are in place. The problem still persists with each single restart. Before I had this problem the screen always showed a "Genesis" text after I switched it on. This has disappeared totaly. Is my screen broken or is there a software bug? I have got a Dimension 8300 with a GEForce 5200 FX connected to it.

Thanks,

Stefan

• mistitwister,

That is some software.If you received a monitor disk with the system you may want to install it to see if that will resolve the issue.

• Jesse,

I installed the software but the problem still persists. It is not possible to change the settings of the Dell E171FPb.

Maybe someone from Dell should have a look into this monitor.

Thanks,

Stefan

• mistitwister,

You may want to call support and have them work with you on the phone to resolve the issue and if needed they can replace the monitor. The number to call is 1-800-624-9896.

• I have the same monitor and it has always auto-adjusted during boot up. It's done this since day one. I always thought it was a normal part of the boot up.

Isn't it?

Spotteddog

XPS 410: Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz (E6600) , 4GB, Nvidia GTS250, Windows 7 HP 64-bit, 2x250GB WesternDigital HDD's, 1x320GB Seagate HDD, HP 1070i DVD±R/±RW and DVD-RAM read/write, ±R double-layer capability, and LightScribe, Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music, Dell SP2208WFP.

• spotteddog,

This is what I found about the auto adjust.

Auto Adjustment button allows the monitor to self-adjust to the incoming video signal. After using Auto Adjustment, you can further tune your monitor by using the Pixel Clock (Coarse), Phase (Fine) controls in the OSD.

Note: Auto Adjust will not occur if you press the button while there are no active video input signals, or attached cables.

• my monitor often has periods when it auto adjusts itself at startup and periods when it doesn't happen. I noticed that it always happens after I run a pc game then at next startup it is guaranted to auto adjust itself. Maybe it is some programs changing the display when they are run and then windows resets it back.
  • Jesse,

I understand what you are saying. But the point in the first post in this thread is the same as mine.

The "autoadjust" sign shows on my monitor for a split second during boot up. As I said, I just thought it was a normal part of the boot precess, since it has always happened.

You seem to be saying: NO, that is not normal. And, that there must be something wrong with my new monitor. Is that right?

Thanks,

Spot

Spotteddog

XPS 410: Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz (E6600) , 4GB, Nvidia GTS250, Windows 7 HP 64-bit, 2x250GB WesternDigital HDD's, 1x320GB Seagate HDD, HP 1070i DVD±R/±RW and DVD-RAM read/write, ±R double-layer capability, and LightScribe, Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music, Dell SP2208WFP.

• I used to have a E171Fpb and I experienced the same problem.  But... I think it was a driver issue.  I purchased my system with that monitor and a GeForce MX420 video card and never had a single problem.  I then switched to a ATI 9600 Pro and that is when the monitor started to autoadjust during the boot process.  It was kind of weird, but it always loaded into windows and worked well at native resolution.  I then switched to a 2001FP monitor and have not touched the video card or drivers.  It does not autoadjust at all and works perfectly.  I put E171Fpb on my parents old computer and don't have any problems with it.  Maybe this will shed some light on your problem.
  • ewb302,

If it just auto adjust when it comes on then, that is fine. If it continues to auto adjust while working then, there may something causing this happen.