U3818DW, MacBook Pro, USB speeds - Monitors Forum - Peripherals - Dell Community

U3818DW, MacBook Pro, USB speeds

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

U3818DW, MacBook Pro, USB speeds

This question is not answered

Folks

I have the U3818DW 38" USB-C monitor.   I can't believe I am the only one having this issue.   I am using this monitor with 2016 touch bar macbook pro.   USB-C works great.  Charged my mac and also drives the monitor.   However, all the USB ports in the monitor ONLY work at USB-2 speed.  I even tried the USB Upstream cables to see they help. So. How to get the USB ports to work at USB-3 speed when connected to USB-C?

Thank you.

All Replies
  • Dell cannot speak to the non-validated Apple proprietary hardware, operating system, and drivers. You should ask the Apple users on their Forum for troubleshooting opinions. We only tested Windows computers on the U3818DW.

In theory, the U3818DW USB 3.0 Upstream Cable should be connected directly to a computers USB 3.0 port. Then, the U3818DW two side and two bottom USB 3.0 Downstream ports would achieve 5 Gbps data rate. See page 20 in the User's Guide =

• Ha.  90% of of your target user base for this monitor is Mac folks.  and there are few Macbook Pros with USB-C.  So please try to make an effort and test it with Apple Hardware too.

Anyway.. As per the spec you pasted up, it looks like USB3.0 would transfer data at USB 2.0 speed.   And NO the upstream port doesn't help when connected to a USB-C laptop.

What a mess.  I will probably return the monitor.

• "90% of of your target user base for this monitor is Mac folks."
    From where did you get that data? The pre-sales and support questions we are getting via chat and phone are Windows users.

"please try to make an effort and test it with Apple Hardware too."
    The team decided before it ever went on sale to only validate this model on Windows as shown the driver,

Again, you should ask the Apple users on their Forum for troubleshooting.

• About target users and mac. Yeah sure. Whatever. If you decided to validate on Windows, mention that in the marketing brochure. Validated on Windows only. <attacking> And I don't know why Apple users would would like to troubleshoot a Dell product. Dell should do that. But then as you said, this monitor might work in Apple or not. So if I need forum support to make a $1000 monitor work, my money is spent better somewhere else. This one is going back to you all. Good luck selling this as open box. So <profane>.