P2715Q, Apple hardware, USB issues - Monitors Forum - Peripherals - Dell Community

P2715Q, Apple hardware, USB issues

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

P2715Q, Apple hardware, USB issues

This question is not answered

Hello everyone,

It seems I have been having some USB related issues since yesterday when I got my new P2715Q. If someone could advise how to resolve these it would be great. I have it connected to my MacBook.

1. 2.5" HDD connected to monitor gets disconnected all the time. It connects back again and disconnects again without touching the cable. The behaviour is the same as I would just disconnect HDD without "ejecting". Please see screenshot attached.

2. When I connect my iPad to one of USB ports at the back, it says "not charging". It is being charged slowly tough. It happens even if there is no other USB connected to USB hub. Is it because P2715Q does not give enough voltage/current on these USB ports?

3. When I go to monitor settings and "energy" section, there is "USB" item. I was trying to look for any settings which may be responsible for the way USB ports work, however, this settings is greyed out.

Troubleshooting steps already performed (it resolved HDD issue once but it happened again and reconnecting cables did not work for the second time):

- all cables (including power) disconnected

- DP cable connected

- USB cable connected

- power cable connected

Thank you.

All Replies
  • As you can see in the image below taken directly from the P2715Q page, the Apple proprietary hardware, operating system, and drivers were not tested/validated by Dell. Neither our driver nor the Dell Displays Manager will function in the Apple operating system.

Dell is not going to know how the Apple operating system is going to handle the P2715Q USB hub or what driver it may install to talk to the hub.

Concerning the USB downstream ports, the P2715Q must be in the active on or powersave mode for them to function. Do you see a lightning symbol on the back (not bottom) USB downstream port? If not, then it is not fast charging.

You should also post on the Apple Forum and see if they can offer some insight or troubleshooting steps.

• Hi Chris,

Thank you for your answer.

I assume HDD would work if I test with Windows-installed laptop?

How about the USB settings which are greyed out at the moment? I have also checked with no USB cable connected and it stays greyed out. Does it require Windows laptop to be connected to the monitor to have these settings activated?

Thank you.

• I assume HDD would work if I test with Windows-installed laptop?
    * Possibly once the windows operating system installed the necessary drivers.

Does it require Windows laptop to be connected to the monitor to have these settings activated?
    * Correct. The monitor USB hub has to be initialized by the windows operating system driver.