Bad U2417H factory calibration due uneven color tint - Monitors Forum - Peripherals - Dell Community

Bad U2417H factory calibration due uneven color tint

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Bad U2417H factory calibration due uneven color tint

This question has been answered by DELL-Chris M

I'm disappointed in my brand new U2417H. After receiving an unit with a very high count of stuck pixels and going through a nightmarish replacement process where I received an used, badly packaged and shattered replacement and then a different (inferior) model I finally received one display of the right model, though it's an older rev.

My main issue, though, is that it's badly calibrated. It's not what I expected to see in a monitor of this level. It likely happened because the monitor has uneven color areas:

(gray diagnostic screen with factory settings, second image just to highlight mentioned areas)

Half of has an yellow/magenta tint (#1), the other half is cooler (#3-A, this color shift is not due viewing angle), with blue smudges in central areas of the screen (#2-B). It resulted in a warm, magentaish sRGB calibration, looking worse than the Standard mode, which is very unfortunate because the calibration is what sold this monitor to me.

Is this within Dell quality standards?

Note: The #4-C are just darker areas and can be ignored.

Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Based on those pictures, it is not defective and passes our manufacturer specification for overall uniformity. You should consider calibrating the monitor with a colorimeter and calibration software.

• Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't calibrate the areas of a screen separately.

So even if I were to sink a extra couple of hundred of dollars on a device to re-calibrate it, what defeats the purpose of buying a factory-calibrated screen, and managed to achieve a "white" white, I'd still be stuck with either half+central smudges of blue screen, or half yellow tinted screen, because the colors are uneven.

Nice. Can't wait to see the quality of a lower-end Dell monitor!