Thunderbolt Connection - Monitors Forum - Peripherals - Dell Community

Thunderbolt Connection

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Thunderbolt Connection

This question is not answered

I'd like to connect my Dell P2715Q monitor to the Thunderbolt port on my Dell XPS 15-9550.

Which port on the monitor do I use and what cable do I need?

All Replies
  • Dell does not sell a specific TB (Thunderbolt) to DP (DisplayPort) or mDP (mini Display Port) cable. Did you test to see if the P2715Q mDP to DP cable fits in the TB/mDP port? If it does, connect in this way =
    Laptop TB/mDP out --> P2715Q mDP to DP cable --> P2715QDP in

• Hello Chris.

I am a little confused and I'm seeking someone able to really help.

My problem is quite the same but I want to explain a little more in detail what I want to do and I'm not able to.

I have the P2715Q, awesome.

I have some Mac Mini brought recently 2016 & 2017

I would like to use my screen with 3840*2160 @60Hz.

Today I can only achieve 3840*2160 @30Hz with the Dell provided miniDP to DP cable.

From what I read some people succeed doing this by connecting a thunderbolt cable to the thunderbolt port of the Mac mini. They arrive to 3840*2160 @60Hz.

What it is not clear to me is if I can plug the thunderbolt cable directly into the miniDP port of the monitor or do I have to have an adapter DP (male) to miniDP (female) to do so?

I have tried with my Apple Thunderbolt cable (that works fine) connecting miniDP on the Mac mini to miniDP on the monitor and I have no signal at all.

I do not care to handle data on thunderbolt cable, just the signal, but it has to be 60Hz.  

I'm considering changing my entire company monitors to this awesome screen model I really like but I need to be sure I can achieve the frequency.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom on this.

I think the monitor might have some physical issue on the miniDP at the back?

Minis miniDP are Thunderbolt 2 (so 1.2 miniDP)

In the user manual I read it is a IN port, so it should work right?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Xavier.