U2410 Monitor doesn't respond to ps3 HDMI input

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

U2410 Monitor doesn't respond to ps3 HDMI input

This question is answered

So, I am trying to get my monitor to read HDMi to HDMi from ps3 slim 120 GB to the monitor.

It's just blank screen. I've tried doing the soft reset for the ps3 (hold power button for 5 seconds until second beep comes out), swapping the HDMI input-output, everything does not work. It says No HDMI cable connected after i changed the source to HDMI. When I press the button to fire up the menu on the monitor, I am only greeted with the option to scan sources or choose manually. With ANOTHER HDMI cable, it does allow me to configure other things like how it's when i configure it on my pc. Using the second HDMI cable, I checked the Display Info, and the resolution is capped at 480p (in the info), but it's still a blank screen. So basically I have no success in having even a glimpse of my ps3 on the screen.

I bought this monitor from a friend, it's still 3 months old with 5 years warranty. He said his ps3 plays fine on it, just plug and play. HDMI to HDMI, so he doesn't get it also. I am using the first HDMI cable now to connect my PC to the screen, so it's not the issue of the HDMI port, or the HDMI cable. What can possibly be wrong?

Verified Answer
  • Alright, thanks for input. I've found what the problem is. I'll write it down here in case anyone else are facing similar problems.

Basically, it's the new ps3 slim 120 GB set version 2106, are not compatible to work with Dell U2410 (maybe it doesn't work with any monitors, but I do not have any other monitor to try it with).

I tried bringing over my ps3 to my friend's house who has another U2410, and it didn't work either. His ps3 is working fine. So i took down the number. His version is 2006.

SONY did something with the newer version that makes it impossible to work with monitor. I do not know whether it's an honest mistake from their part or they simply are not happy we are playing with a monitor instead of a HD TV. (I called the customer service and they were unhelpful. They basically said the problem lies with my wanting to play with a monitor. PS3 does not support that, and it would be better if I plug it to a HD TV, and yes, that's their best advice, despite my saying I have no HD TV).

So I tried using a 2006 to play with my monitor. Everything works perfectly as it should. Simply perfect.

In conclusion, if you want to work with monitor, it's not advisable to buy a ps3 slim 120 gb version 2106. Try to get version 2006 instead. If you have no other choice, check the return policy and be sure that you can return the ps3 if it does not work. I'll say it once again to let the search spider crawl on the words. PS3 slim 120 GB 2106 is not compatible to work with monitor Dell U2410 (or any monitor, I can't be sure). Buy at your own risk.

I hope it helps a couple of guys trying to do their research.

All Replies
  • What are the brand model of the HDMI cables? And your friends HDMI cable?

* With both the monitor and PS3 on and using the HDMI cable (not the HDMI to DVI), power off the PS3 via the power switch in the back and then power it back on with that same switch
    * Hold the Power Button on the front of the PS3 until you hear 3 beeps. Once it powers up, the screen should display a message something like, "An HDMI cable has been detected, do you want to set it up?"
    * When you go through the setup for setting up HDMI, you will need to check the boxes of which video output modes your monitor supports (480i/480p/576i/576p/720p/1080i/1080p)
    * After you go through the intial HDMI setup and your PS3 is displaying through the HDMI cable, on the PS3's main menu, go to Settings and then scroll down to Display Settings. In Display Settings, put the RGB Full Range (HDMI) on Full and put Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White (HDMI) to On

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    #iwork4Dell
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?
    Drivers
    Order Status

• My HDMI cable is a no brand, made in China cable I think. I tried using the SONY HDMI cable too. When I am using the China HDMI, the only option i am allowed to set (when i press the button for menu), is changing the input source. When I used the SONY one, I can have the full menu of my monitor to play with. Curious differences. My friend's HDMI cable is also a China made.

But right now I am using the China made HDMI to connect my PC to my U2410. So the cable can't be faulty.

*I don't have a power switch at the back (PS3 slim 120 GB)The real problem I am having is the screen displayed nothing. Nada. No matter 2 beeps or 3 beeps, and isn't the 3 beeps is turning off the system? So if there is that message popping up I'll be jumping with joy. But I'll try it again after I post this.

After much pondering, and trying to isolate the root of the problem, I concluded that the problem is the native resolution of this monitor 1900x1200 is not compatible with what the PS3 is made for. Somehow it works for PS3 fat, but it doesn't seem so with PS3 slim. Here's facts for you to work with and see if we reach the same conclusion:

- The PS3 HDMI port is working fine when tested on the spot when I bought it (with the China made cable too). So from this, I assume that port has no problem.

- My monitor HDMI port is working fine because as I am typing this, my monitor is connected to my PC via china-made HDMI cable.

- My China made and SONY HDMI cable is working fine, but I wonder whether it's the difference in quality with SONY cable that makes some things different when i tried both.

- HDMI-DVI cable is also a newly bought cable, but it does not display anything at all like my HDMI-HDMI cable. My DVI port is working fine because I can connect from my PC to the monitor using the DVI port as well.

- My monitor went to power save mode whenever I on my ps3 with HDMI-HDMI connected or HDMI-DVI. When I on the monitor manually, it says no signal detected. Normally if I went to another input source without that respective cable plugged at the back, it will just display "No HDMI cable" or "No DVI-D 1 cable". From here I assume that it detects a connection but it doesn't know what to make out of it.

- When I use the HDMI to connect, I tried using the AV cable to detect sound. There is sound when i scroll around using my controller. There is no display.

My question for you is, can i force/change the resolution of this monitor using the monitor itself, not using the PC? If I can, I think it will solve the problem. Nevertheless, I will give your method a try  (minus the power off switch because I have none) and will update this message once I've gotten the result.

• Ok, I can't get that method to work. The message displayed is:

"There is no signal from your computer. Use your mouse or your keyboard to wake it up. If not, select the correct display from the on-screen input menu."

Somewhere along that line. Is it possible that I have restricted the monitor to only work with my PC and not accepting other connection?

Update: Component cable works. There are images, of course there is no sound since the monitor does not support it. But component can only push up the res in the ps3 to 720p max and there's this weird double-image-artifact. It's playable, but I am not satisfied because I know this monitor can do much better. What do you suggest?

• No ideas at all?

• I am stumped. Maybe these guys can assist.

#iwork4Dell
    Drivers
    Order Status

• Alright, thanks for input. I've found what the problem is. I'll write it down here in case anyone else are facing similar problems.

Basically, it's the new ps3 slim 120 GB set version 2106, are not compatible to work with Dell U2410 (maybe it doesn't work with any monitors, but I do not have any other monitor to try it with).

I tried bringing over my ps3 to my friend's house who has another U2410, and it didn't work either. His ps3 is working fine. So i took down the number. His version is 2006.

SONY did something with the newer version that makes it impossible to work with monitor. I do not know whether it's an honest mistake from their part or they simply are not happy we are playing with a monitor instead of a HD TV. (I called the customer service and they were unhelpful. They basically said the problem lies with my wanting to play with a monitor. PS3 does not support that, and it would be better if I plug it to a HD TV, and yes, that's their best advice, despite my saying I have no HD TV).

So I tried using a 2006 to play with my monitor. Everything works perfectly as it should. Simply perfect.

In conclusion, if you want to work with monitor, it's not advisable to buy a ps3 slim 120 gb version 2106. Try to get version 2006 instead. If you have no other choice, check the return policy and be sure that you can return the ps3 if it does not work. I'll say it once again to let the search spider crawl on the words. PS3 slim 120 GB 2106 is not compatible to work with monitor Dell U2410 (or any monitor, I can't be sure). Buy at your own risk.

I hope it helps a couple of guys trying to do their research.

• Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone played a playstation 3 Slim with the U2410?

• SYU_Z,

Do you know what version HDMI the 2006 has versus the 2106? Are they both 1.4?

My assumption is your using a straight HDMI to HDMI cable from the PS3 Slim to the U2410, correct?

What resolution is the PS3 Slim trying to output to the U2410?

#iwork4Dell
    Drivers
    Order Status

• Ok, for both PS3, the HDMI cable that I use are the same. Basically it's a common HDMI cable, if I am not wrong the common cable is 1.3. One more thing is, it is Sony HDMI cable. Once I tried using another HDMI to HDMI cable, it doesn't work. The cable is not faulty, it has been tested.

Yes, I am using HDMI to HDMI cable for both 2006 and 2106. But I also tried HDMI to DVI, HDMI to HDMI with a DVI converter head, Composite, you name it. Composite cables(on 2106) successfully display but only on 720p and it has a certain display problem which makes everything looks like it has shadows. AV cable is out of the question since it does not even output HD resolution. But it does work on a normal TV. When the HDMI is plugged to my monitor, the screen is pitch black and the resolution displayed in the menu of the monitor is 480p. The proper resolution that should be the output from ps3 to the monitor is 1080p.

I tried asking further and the seller says 2106 use a 40mm video chip(?) instead of the normal 45mm that exists in 2006. That is probably the reason why 2106 refuses to work on the monitor.

• What year was your monitor Made? Also have you tried HDMI to Displayport?

Ty for responding.

• March 2010. REV01. No, I did not try that as I do not have the cable.

• Well that's worrying. I was all set to buy a U2410 today but decided to check it'd work with my PS3 and also Sky HD.

The PS3 is only a couple of months old, so presumanly it's the latest revision. It's 320GB rather than 120GB but that's just a harddrive after all.

This would be a deal-breaker. Does anyone have any further information on this please?

I'm also concerned about the graining mentioned here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19302511.aspx?PageIndex=2

Is this still an issue with revision A02?

Regarding Sky HD, is the U2410 able to display 1080i (preferably without stretching)? My Dell 2407WFP can't display 1080i at all, which is one of the major reasons for the purchase of a new monitor (I don't want to switch Sky HD to 720p).

The first question's the key one, but I figured I'd ask the others here rather than messing up the place with multiple posts.

Thanks in advance.

• Oh it's worth mentioning that my PS3 does work on my Dell 2407.

• Bugblatter

Well that's worrying. I was all set to buy a U2410 today but decided to check it'd work with my PS3 and also Sky HD.

The PS3 is only a couple of months old, so presumanly it's the latest revision. It's 320GB rather than 120GB but that's just a harddrive after all.

This would be a deal-breaker. Does anyone have any further information on this please?

I'm also concerned about the graining mentioned here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19302511.aspx?PageIndex=2

Is this still an issue with revision A02?

Regarding Sky HD, is the U2410 able to display 1080i (preferably without stretching)? My Dell 2407WFP can't display 1080i at all, which is one of the major reasons for the purchase of a new monitor (I don't want to switch Sky HD to 720p).

The first question's the key one, but I figured I'd ask the others here rather than messing up the place with multiple posts.

Thanks in advance.

I have PS3 Slim 160GB model CECH-2501A (Sept. 2010 refresh); the OP had original PS3 Slim (Sept 2009). Its working with my U2410 (Rev A00) OK now. I initially bought a cheap no-name brand HDMI cable but the U2410 would suddenly start cycling from Power to Power Save mode constantly at random times and I had hard time coaxing the PS3 to go from 480p back to 1080p; I resolved the problem by replacing the no-name with a Sony HDMI cable. I have U2410 HDMI input set to "Fill" Wide Mode to display PS3 output at 1920 x 1200 because I was concerned about having image retention as I was experiencing with Mac OS X (which tends to have black shading around windows, and I don't move windows around much). U2410 also displays PS3 1080p at 1920 x 1080 "Aspect" Wide Mode just fine (with black bars at top and bottom). Can't comment about 1080i with certainty.

As far as "the graining" is concerned, I don't see any change in graininess when switching from DVI input (AdobeRGB preset) and HDMI input (Game preset). When I first received the U2410, I did notice the aggressive anti-reflective coating (which some people describe as "graininess" but nowhere near as bad as the sample photos posted on that Dell forum thread), and I was having slight discomfort in focusing my eyes (I wear bifocals) reading documents. But after 2 weeks my mind made adjustments and I don't even notice it any more -- it as a comfortable to read as my laptop display which is very easy on the eyes.  I also noticed graininess or dithering initially when watching DVD movies (DVI input, but not as bad as in the sample photos) but this seemed to be resolved when I adjusted the sharpness control. 

• Wow; whoever designed the authentication system here (and links between different types of account) had better hope they never end up working for me!

Anyway I finally managed to log in. Thanks for the reply Wesley.

I actually took the plunge and I've had my U2410 a few days; everything's working very well although I haven't tried watching Blu-Ray from the PS3 yet. The PS3 works fine with it though.

Oh and 1080i works very well too.