Dying monitor? 2408WPF has vertical coloured lines

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Dying monitor? 2408WPF has vertical coloured lines

This question is not answered

Hi there - I hope this is the right place to post, and I'd appreciate direction if I'm in the wrong :)

I've been the fond owner of a 2408WFP (A00, I believe) for a couple of years now and bought the 5yr warrantee when I purchased, thankfully! I'm generally very happy with it, but have found a couple of issues that make me wonder if I should contact Support for return/replacement.

1: When connected to my Dell Optiplex GX620 via a DVI cable, the screen won't come out of Power Save. I've tried different cables, and different monitors, and it seems to just be an issue with the 2408WFP. I /think/ the graphics card is an X600. Catalyst Control Center says "ATI X300/X550/X1050 Series" - it's the stock card for the Optiplex anyway. I normally run the Optiplex attached to a 1907FP and that monitor works just fine.

2: More worryingly, the monitor started displaying a vertical yellow line right down the desktop while attached to my laptop (ASUS M50VN running Windows 7 - no such line appears on the laptop's LCD.) This line disappears after a few minutes. If I turn the screen off, wait a while, then turn it back on, the line re-appears, then vanishes again with time. I'm guessing it's a circuit not quite firing until it's warmed up or something (I'm no electronics expert!)

Today, two lines appeared - a second magenta/red line appeared a couple of pixels to the left of the yellow line and likewise faded with time.

Is this covered under the Extended Warranty I purchased? Should I be calling local support to arrange swapping/shipping?

Thank you in advance!

DunxWerx

All Replies
  • Get it replaced.

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    Drivers
    Order Status

• Thank you Chris. I'll call Dell in Australia tomorrow.

What happened to the other post on this thread?

• Well, it took a couple of phone calls - my first CS rep didn't update my contact details, as far as I can tell, and the monitor never turned up so I called again after a week or so. Handed through 3 reps but got stuff sorted and got a back-up call an hour later to confirm info.

But eventually my replacement monitor turned up. Upgrade FTW to an A02in great condition with zero dead pixels  - thank you Dell!

• Hi.

I am having the same problem with my 2408WFP as well..  My lines are now evenly spaced across the entire screen and has just recently started to flutter.  I have not seen or heard of any replies from Dell on this matter.  So I am assuming we will just have to switch brands the next time we buy monitors or anything computer related... 

David

PS:  customer service cuts profits and golden parachutes for CEOs which is why most companies no longer walk the walk on service.

• Hi David :)

Chris (above) suggested I get it replaced, so I just called Dell Support and  they sent a replacement to me as my monitor was still under warranty. Perhaps give them a call yourself and see what they have to say on your matter. There was no quibbling, just agreement that the fault was covered, and reasonably quick resolution of the matter.

Dunx