Finding service tag?

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Finding service tag?

This question is not answered

Hi All,

There seems to be a bit of content related to this, but none of it has helped me to date.  I have a 24" Dell that is just over 2 years old, when I bought it my order had a line item "MW796 24" UltraSharp(TM) Wide Screen Flat Panel LCD Monitor (Analog & DVI)" but I can't find anything by that code when searching.  I've also read the the FAQ (http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=5250C321E78E2F42E040AE0AB7E17528&doclang=en) on finding the service tag for UltraSharp monitors but I think this is only for new monitors. 

Can someone help me find the service tag?  What does it look like?  How long is it? 

Alternatively, if someone can tell me if the SD card reader in the monitor should read a 4GB (type 4) SD card then I don't need my service tag (o:

Cheers,

Dim

All Replies
  • Dim

Your monitor will not have a service tag, we just recently started putting them on some of our monitors. Look at this thread, it might tell you what you want to know.

• Hi Jimmy,

Can you please tell me where to find the service tag for the new SP2309W LCD monitor I just bought? I need to get technical support for the problem of built-in mics not working under Ubuntu 8.04. I can't find that tag. The serial number of the monitor is CN-0U783F-64180-8B1-1MDS if this helps.

Thanks,

Gary

• Gary

Not all of our monitors have service tags yet. You should be able to get support using your order number.

• Thanks Jimmy for the quick reply.

But can you please tell me how to do that. Everywhere I go for technical support on Dell's website, it asks for a service tag number. I cannot go anywhere further without entering the tag number. It's very frustrating.

Gary

• Thanks Jimmy.  When I go to http://support.dell.com/ the first thing it asks for is the service tag.  Can you point me in the right direction for getting support without it?

• As it stands now your both going to have to call support unless you have a Dell computer that is still under warranty, then you can use that service tag.

• Hi Jimmy,

I called support and their telephone menu system does not give the option for monitor support? Which category option should I pick? I don't want to waste my time waiting for someone to answer only to find out I picked the wrong category.

I believe it has: Wireless router, TV/Projectors, Desktop/laptop, Servers/Storage, DJ, etc.

• I would go for Desktop/laptop unless you are using the monitor on a server.

• Thanks Jimmy, appreciate the response.  Somewhat frustrating that I can't simply find tech specs for a monitor I bought without making a phone call, but thanks for the info all the same.

Cheers,

Dim

• colebatchd

Thanks Jimmy, appreciate the response.  Somewhat frustrating that I can't simply find tech specs for a monitor I bought without making a phone call, but thanks for the info all the same.

Cheers,

Dim

What specs are you looking for?

• Hi Jimmy,

I'm looking for some details about the SD card reader in the side of the monitor.  For some reason the 4GB SD card I have isn't recognised when I put it in.  I'd like to find out if this is just a limitation and the monitor can't read the larger SD cards, or if its actually a problem.  I suspect its just a limitation but I really don't know.

Cheers,

Dim

• Hi Jimmy,

Call Peripheral Support at 1-877-335-5767 to try to get help. After a long conversation, they couldn't help (they probably have no idea on how), they said I called the wrong department and transfered me to Computer Support at 1-800-847-4096. After another lengthy discussion, the lady probably had no idea either. She put me on hold for a long time before asking me if I tried it on Windows or another USB port. I told her I only use Ubuntu and the USB port should not be the problem as the webcam works fine. She agreed and said she would transfer me to the right technical support and back to Periperal Support. Talked to someone who seems to be very far away with lots of line noise. He asked me for a phone number to call back. I gave it to him and he never called back. Wasted a whole hour on this.

Dell isn't doing well on technical support at all. If they can't find a solution for you, you are transfered to somewhere else until you give up. That's why I don't like telephone support. I prefer email if it was available to me without a service tag.

Now, Dell is selling Ubuntu systems, they must know a way to make the internal mics of the SP2309W work under it. Right???

Just my rant.

Gary

• gcshum

Hi Jimmy,

Call Peripheral Support at 1-877-335-5767 to try to get help. After a long conversation, they couldn't help (they probably have no idea on how), they said I called the wrong department and transfered me to Computer Support at 1-800-847-4096. After another lengthy discussion, the lady probably had no idea either. She put me on hold for a long time before asking me if I tried it on Windows or another USB port. I told her I only use Ubuntu and the USB port should not be the problem as the webcam works fine. She agreed and said she would transfer me to the right technical support and back to Periperal Support. Talked to someone who seems to be very far away with lots of line noise. He asked me for a phone number to call back. I gave it to him and he never called back. Wasted a whole hour on this.

Dell isn't doing well on technical support at all. If they can't find a solution for you, you are transfered to somewhere else until you give up. That's why I don't like telephone support. I prefer email if it was available to me without a service tag.

Now, Dell is selling Ubuntu systems, they must know a way to make the internal mics of the SP2309W work under it. Right???

Just my rant.

Gary

They gave me a case number which is 630648419 in case you are interested.

Gary

• Gary

I don't use linux therefore don't know a lot about it, I did a little digging though and apparently quite a few people have problems getting microphones to work in it. Try this link, he seems to have gotten his to work.

gcshum

Just my rant.

I thought the open source folks were all about figuring this stuff out for themselves and writing their own drivers. Wink

• Hi Jimmy,

I appreciate your help. I'm just a user, not a linux guru. So I can't write my own drivers. I just got fed up with Windows and decided to give Ubuntu a try.

I thought if Dell sells Ubuntu systems, at least Dell should make sure their Dell Peripherals will work under Ubuntu without much tweeking, or provide some kind of scripts to make them work.

I would really appreciate it if you could find a Ubuntu/Linux guru within Dell and ask if he/she could fix this problem.