Flashing Green Power LED

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Flashing Green Power LED

• I've had a Dell 17" E172FP for almost 3 years now - and it's been a great monitor. No dead pixels, no acting up...just great performance. This morning, however, I woke up to find the screen completely blank and the power LED (still green - not amber) flashing on and off. I checked all the connections, and all of them seem to be okay. The VGA connection is firm on both ends. Same with the power cord. The problem does not seem to be the computer, as I turned it off, and the monitor continued to flash. I disconnected the power cord, and connected it back up 30 secs later. As soon as I turned it on (with the PC still off), it started flashing again. I cannot even access the OSD. Any tips as to what could be wrong / how I can fix it?
  • mohit2690,

* If the issue is visible in the monitor STFC (Self-Test Feature Check), the monitor is defective.
    * If not, the issue is with either the video card driver or the video card.

* Turn off both your PC and monitor
    * Disconnect the monitor from the PC (either the white DVI or the blue VGA. They should never be connected at the same time to one PC)
    * Turn the monitor on
    * The floating Dell red/green/blue/white dialog box should appear on a black background
    * Check for the issue

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    Drivers
    Order Status

• The issue is not with the video driver or the video card, because the issue persists when the monitor was connected to another computer, as well as when the monitor is not connected to a computer at all. Furthermore, the floating Dell red/blue/green/white dialog box (which did use to appear when the monitor functioned properly) is not visible when I turn the monitor on, with or without the PC connected. Basically, I am not able to access or view anything on the monitor at all, regardless of connection the PC or not. It just continues to flash the green power LED on and off. The issue is almost definitely with the monitor, and not the computer(s), as the monitor has functioned with both of these PCs satisfactorily in the past, up till yesterday even. Any ideas?
  • This exact same thing just happened to me today 2/7/07!!!
    Any help would be appreciated.  The only thing that is different is that when I power up the screen I can see the Windows start up screen (so I believe that the video card is not defective), but just for a split second.  Right after that, the LCD light starts flashing green again, and the screen looks like it is trying to turn on but can't.  It seems as though there is something wrong with the power to the screen, but I have tried unplugging, replugging, and checking the connections.  It worked fine yesterday.  Is my screen dead or is there a way to save it?  Thanks for your help!
  • You have an order number. Technical support can access your account with it, 1-800-624-9896.

Message Edited by DELL-ChrisM on 02-08-2007 10:05 AM

Drivers
    Order Status

• Both the chat and email links you directed me towards require a Service Tag #, which my monitor seems to be missing. It was bought in July 2004 off Ebay in brand new condition.
    What exactly is the PPID #? And where can I find it? It would be helpful if you could mention how long it is supposed to be, and where I can find it. Thank you.

Message Edited by mohit2690 on 02-08-2007 08:11 AM
  • Same thing happened to me 2-6-07...  must be the negative vibes.  Been using an E151FPb for 3.5 years w no issues to date.  Now it suddenly goes black (or almost - faint white flashes can been seen if the room is dark) for no apparent cause.  Problem can sometimes be fixed by unplugging power cord, letting it sit a while, then plugging back in.  This "fix" can last a few hours or a few minutes; sometimes it doesn't work at all.  Not an issue with the computer as it's working fine w a spare monitor.  Please copy me on whatever additional info is disseminated on this problem -

Thx
  • Well,  a few minutes after I posted my comment, I tried to turn on, then off my monitor again just to see if giving it a little rest would help (it seems to sometimes for other electronics).  Anyway, when I turned the monitor back on it started smoking from the back.  I quickly unplugged it.  I guess it really is dead.  Any hope left to resusitate it?  Did anyone else ever have this problem?  The salesman at Compusa who was trying to sell me a new monitor said that Dell monitors are known to smoke.
  • gabfeld,

Please provide me with the following information in a private message, not on the board -
    Name:
    Shipping address:
    Phone:
    Service tag number:
    Order number:
    Customer number:
    Monitor 20 digit PPID number (back of the monitor):
    Reason:

Drivers
    Order Status

• Hi - I have exactly the same problem.  Do you know what the fix is or whether it is a fatal problem?  Thanks Chris
  • chrispatterson,

No idea. Please provide me with the following information in a private message, not on the board -
    Name:
    Shipping address:
    Phone:
    Service tag number:
    Order number:
    Customer number:
    Monitor 20 digit PPID number (back of the monitor):
    Reason:

Drivers
    Order Status

• I have a DELL 15" flat panel monitor model E151FPb. It was manufactured in June 2003 and it came with my DELL Dimension 4600 computer when I purchased it in August 2003. It has worked flawlessly up until last week. Now it randomly goes to a blank screen and the green LED next to the monitor's power button flashes continuously. I read many posts in the forums and it appears that many owners of these monitors are experiencing the same issue. My monitor freaks out intermittently so I cannot recreate a situation that will cause it to repeat the issue. The scary thing is that I saw one member post that he "squeezes the monitor" to fix the issue. I have tried that four times now and it worked each time! I am not a fan of physically abusing electronic equipment when it malfunctions so I am looking for a true fix.

I tried many of the troubleshooting tips listed in the forums by members and DELL liaisons. None of them resolved the problem. Last night I contacted customer support and they told me they "are not aware" of any such problem occurring. Ha ha. I reluctantly allowed the tech support representative remote access to my computer and watched as he sorted things out. He reinstalled the computers chipset driver and video driver. I watched the dates and the drivers were the same ones already installed on the system. After he completed his work in 30 minutes he asked if I was satisfied. Of course I had no choice but to say "yes" since my monitor was working (it was working when he took control of the computer though).

I woke up this morning and moved my mouse and viola, faint flickering dark screen and a slip second of viewing before the green LED started flashing again! Of course I squeezed it and here we are with a working monitor again! Does anyone have a final answer to resolve this problem yet?
  • I have a E172FPB that just starting having the same problem. Manufactured in Feb. 2004. Is a fix out there?
  • Add me to the list of E151FPb owners experiencing the same symptoms. I just smack the top of the display like you’d hit an old TV and voila, it work fine until I shut it off. Sounds like a loose connection internally. My old CRT monitor had a lifetime warranty. I wonder if the same holds true for Dell flat panels. Probably not.
  • I have a e173fp running on a dimension8300. Symptoms sound awfully familiar. Driver reinstalls didn't work for me. I searched google/forums/etc. One problem focussed on faulty video cards. I ran a GeForce fx 5200 from nvidia. Lots of problems there. I opened up the case and inspected the card. 4 large capacitors were swollen on top with yellow comming out - not a good sign.

I borrowed an old nvidia m64 32mb card and it seems to be working. At least I con now run a full system diagnostic

WD