2007wfp and 2407wfp: What is Color Settings Mode: Mac Mode

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

2007wfp and 2407wfp: What is Color Settings Mode: Mac Mode

• Believe me, I've searched. 
    The poor documentation for these monitors barely touches this question.
    This forum generally touches it without explaining.

What exactly does the "Color Settings Mode:" with options of "PC Mode" and "Mac Mode" do?
    I understand the next option "Color Adjustment" changes the color temperature effect. 
    Does "Mac Mode" simply enable a different set of color temperature presests (if so, why?),
    OR does it change the color gamma effect, brightness, etc for better mac compatibility. 

Why is it important?

Well, the mac itself can adapt to the gamma of the monitor, and it automatically detects some of these settings through DVI.  So, if the mac adapts it self to PC STANDARD GAMMA, but I've set the monitor to adapt to MAC STANDARD GAMMA then I've doubly messed things up.  On the other hand, if it simply enables a different set of color temperature presets, then I still need to allow the mac to adapt to PC STANDARD GAMMA.  Or, would sRGB gamma be best?

So the Mac community needs to know what is the effect Dell is trying to achieve with "Mac Mode"?

All I can say is that "Mac Mode" does generally look more like mac monitors, but if the calibration is , have I accomplished anything by using this mode?  No.

I've tried to calibrate the monitor using the "Mac Mode" and got strange results, such as monitor native gamma of 1.56.  Calibrating it in "PC Mode" give monitor native gamma of 1.9 which is what I would actually expect from a Mac monitor.

Now, I am using my eyeball with the MacOS monitor calibration software, and not a fancy 3rd party method.  So I'm sure I'm not very accurate.
  • Apparrenty my choice verb is banned by the forum.  Anyway I was trying to say

All I can say is that "Mac Mode" does generally look more like mac monitors, but if the calibration is bungled, have I accomplished anything by using this mode?  No.

Also, the first step of calibration is to adjust the brightness so you barely not or not see a middle gradient of gray between black and dark gray.  Well, that gradient never shows on my 2007wfp in either mode even at the brightest setting.  So, I left the brightness at 50.  That is probably too high.