Monitor E173FP - best resolution?

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Monitor E173FP - best resolution?

• Just hooked up new system with 17" flat monitor.  Monitor manual advises screen resolution should be set to 1280 x 1024 pixels.  It was 800 x 600. 

When I do that all text/icons become too small to use.

How do I resize everything?
  • "  LCD's are designed to operate at a specific resolution, or its native resolution.  Lowering an LCD's resolution below its native resolution causes it to scale the image to fit on the screen, distorting the image.  This is especially problematic when different resolution don't have the same aspect ratio."  Those with bad eye sight will either have to adjuct or find another LCD.  Using a lower resolution takes the larger foot print or real estate, which you paid for, and lowering it to a smaller real estate of a 15 inch LCD.  Might as well buy the 15 incher for far less than you paid for the 17 inch.

You may want to reset the resolution again to the native and adjuest the fonts by doing one of the below suggestions, which may work or may cause even more distortion...Give it a try

Display Properties Section : This if for ClearType only, which does help with the jaggies

1. Right click with your mouse an empty space on the desktop
    2. Click on Properties in the next box
    3. Click on Appearance on top
    4. Click on Effects over towards the lower right side
    5. Now click on the down arrow on the second box that you see ( Should state " Standard " ) . Select Clear Type.
    6. Now click on Apply on the bottom, than click on OK in the next window that pops up. You are now done.

Need of larger Fonts :

Go back into Display Properties

1. Click on Appearance
    2. Click on the Font Size in the next window in the Appearance area, and select what size fonts you want. You can change back again if you don't like it...

You can also go to Settings in Display Properties and click on Advanced. Here you will be able to change the DPI setting from 96 DPI to 120 DPI that will also enlarge the fonts

15 inch LCD's native resolution is  1024x768

17 / 18 / 19 / are 1280x1024

20 inch are 1600x1200

Dim 4400 ( 2002 )
    2.6 Ghz
    Bios A06
    1 Gb DDR 2100
    Windows XP Home
    SP-2
    1703 FP LCD monitor
    PC-Cillin Internet Security

Message Edited by SR45 on 04-15-2005 01:31 PM

Banchetto 101 Case-Less System

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6640/295gtx.jpg 

eVGA 780i Mobo

eVGA 295 GTX Video

8 Gb Corsair Memory

Thermaltake TRUE Black CPU Cooler

VelociRaptor 10,000 rpm HD

Windows 7 RC 7100

• Many thanks for that info.

I've done all the changes you suggested, and I've now got a nice display.  Also I set up the screen to 60Hz. 

Also in Word, I've changed icon size on the toolbar.  View - Toolbars - large Icons.  Then with the screen display at 200%, finally I have a comfortable arrangement.

I wonder why Dell didn't advise this in their manual.....

• Good question...Dell can eliminate many of the tech calls, and online forum questions if they took the time to spell things out better for the customer.  I would if I had the money and a company that really cared about customers.   This holds true for those that make a mistake in purchasing the Dim 2400 or 3000 system, thinking that they are gaming computers.  Go figure !

Banchetto 101 Case-Less System

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6640/295gtx.jpg 

eVGA 780i Mobo

eVGA 295 GTX Video

8 Gb Corsair Memory

Thermaltake TRUE Black CPU Cooler

VelociRaptor 10,000 rpm HD

Windows 7 RC 7100