2001FP wont come out of sleep mode

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

2001FP wont come out of sleep mode

• When I connect my 2001FP with the DVI cable, my monitor wont come out of sleep mode. When I move the mouse, the power light turns from orange to green but the screen stays black. This also happens when I restart the computer. The monitor light will turn to orange, then green but the screen remains blank. I tried changing to the analog cable and so far this problem is not occurring with the analog connection. I'd like to use DVI if possible. Does anyone know how I might fix this?

My videocard is a Geforce ti 4600.
  • Scn64,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

With the analog cable connected go into the power management properties in the control panel. From there set the harddrive and monitor to "Never" allow the system to enter sleep mode, standby or hibenate. You can then connect the DVI cable back up and leave the analog disconnected while using the dvi cable.

• SCN64,

Just to check:  You are pressing the Input Select button to switch over to #2 (Digital) right?

• DELL-Jesse:
    Scn64,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

With the analog cable connected go into the power management properties in the control panel. From there set the harddrive and monitor to "Never" allow the system to enter sleep mode, standby or hibenate. You can then connect the DVI cable back up and leave the analog disconnected while using the dvi cable.

I still have the problem of the monitor staying blank after a restart though. When I restart my computer the monitor light turns orange and then back to green but the display remains black.

Message Edited by Scn64 on 02-04-200512:37 PM

Message Edited by Scn64 on 02-04-2005 12:37 PM

• LCD_Ninja wrote:
    SCN64,
    Just to check: You are pressing the Input Select button to switch over to #2 (Digital) right?

Correct, I pressed the input select and scrolled through the available options to make sure I was in the right mode. When I came back to DVI it said something along the lines of "DVI in standby mode, press a key to continue", but nothing happens when I press a key or move the mouse.
  • That could be several problems...none of which are fun.

So DVI NEVER works at all?  And a restart just gets the LED Green but then still get no signal. 

Graphics cards tend to 'remember' what port was in use last time, and sometimes shutdown the one that doesn't have anything connected to it.  Therefore, make sure you're removing the analog cable, powering off the system + FP, hooking up the DVI Cable, turning on the screen, then turning on the system (though it shouldn't really be necessary.)

Also there was a reported issue with certain NVidia cards and certain drivers where the card could corrupt the display...but that was a while back.  There is a tool you can try to use to fix it, if you have a FDD drive to boot with...you might need to call tech support or PM Jesse.

It could also be something like a bad DVI cable, or port on the Vid card.  It's possible, but I doubt it.  The FP will say "PowerSave mode" when you press a button on the front, but the FP isn't detecting a signal from the cable...so this just means the FP isn't receiving, isn't processing correctly, or can't see the DVI signal.

• LCD_Ninja wrote:
    That could be several problems...none of which are fun.
    So DVI NEVER works at all? And a restart just gets the LED Green but then still get no signal.
    Graphics cards tend to 'remember' what port was in use last time, and sometimes shutdown the one that doesn't have anything connected to it. Therefore, make sure you're removing the analog cable, powering off the system + FP, hooking up the DVI Cable, turning on the screen, then turning on the system (though it shouldn't really be necessary.)
    Also there was a reported issue with certain NVidia cards and certain drivers where the card could corrupt the display...but that was a while back. There is a tool you can try to use to fix it, if you have a FDD drive to boot with...you might need to call tech support or PM Jesse.
    It could also be something like a bad DVI cable, or port on the Vid card. It's possible, but I doubt it. The FP will say "PowerSave mode" when you press a button on the front, but the FP isn't detecting a signal from the cable...so this just means the FP isn't receiving, isn't processing correctly, or can't see the DVI signal.

Actually, the DVI connection works fine up until either the monitor enters sleep mode or the computer restarts. If I'm just starting up after a complete shutdown/power off, the monitor works just as it should with DVI.
  • Wow that's a tough one then.  A lot of factors to think about.,

Do you have any DVI capable FP's left to test?  I suppose you could use a DVI adapter to test it with analog on the FP and digital on the vid card...

I think 6D822 is the part number, and you can get it from spare parts...but thats kind of extreme for troubleshooting.

• LCD_Ninja wrote:
    Wow that's a tough one then. A lot of factors to think about.,
    Do you have any DVI capable FP's left to test? I suppose you could use a DVI adapter to test it with analog on the FP and digital on the vid card...
    I think 6D822 is the part number, and you can get it from spare parts...but thats kind of extreme for troubleshooting.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other DVI capable monitors. If need be I can just stick with analog since it works and still has a pretty good picture. Thanks for all your time and help. :)

• Scn64 wrote:
    When I connect my 2001FP with the DVI cable, my monitor wont come out of sleep mode. When I move the mouse, the power light turns from orange to green but the screen stays black. This also happens when I restart the computer. The monitor light will turn to orange, then green but the screen remains blank. I tried changing to the analog cable and so far this problem is not occurring with the analog connection. I'd like to use DVI if possible. Does anyone know how I might fix this?

My videocard is a Geforce ti 4600.

Please let me jump in here. I posted above this with a dell 1903fp that will not work on digital at all. Have replaced the video card, and Dell sent me another monitor and cable. No good. My problem is Slightly different but even worse. Anytine there is anything connected to the dvi port the monitor goes blank-with or without the analog being connected, and the power lite goes yellow (indicating I think no signal or out of sync). I Have a jumper and the analog cable works when hooked up to the dvi port. Hope this helps. I'll carefully read all posts here.
  • I had ordered two computers at the same time with the same monitors (2001FP) both connected to DVI ports.  One monitor worked perfectly (would go to sleep then awaken when the mouse was moved or keyboard touched), the other would not wake from sleep mode and did the same as yours......light would turn green momentarily, then go back to amber.  I had tried several "fixes" but none of them worked.  I then swapped the monitors on both computers since each computer had different video cards (one Nvidia, the other ATI) figuring that maybe it was the video card.  Bottom line was that the bad monitor  still did not work even after switching computers.....the good monitor worked on both computers.  I got a replacement for that monitor and now all is well.  Just my .02 :smileywink: