Monitor Display Upside Down!?

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Monitor Display Upside Down!?

• I have a few pc's that the display on the monitor flips upside down when rebooted, even the mouse is backwards, the quick fix fo this is to just turn the monitor upside down! The only way to resolve this is to reload the video driver and reboot, this takes care of the problem for a little while, but then it happens again.  I have this problem multiple pc's.  They are gx260 small form factors w/ a 17" flat panel running window 2000 pro. Any help would be great! Thanks

• bmctech wrote:

I have a few pc's that the display on the monitor flips upside down when rebooted, even the mouse is backwards, the quick fix fo this is to just turn the monitor upside down! The only way to resolve this is to reload the video driver and reboot, this takes care of the problem for a little while, but then it happens again.  I have this problem multiple pc's.  They are gx260 small form factors w/ a 17" flat panel running window 2000 pro. Any help would be great! Thanks

ctrl+alt+down arrow or up arrow keys flip the display with some drivers.

Or it could be an installed pest.

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/pf/joke.flipped.html

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/Print466.htm

Virus Characteristics 
    The Flip is a file infecting virus. It infects .COM, .EXE, and .OVL files, including COMMAND.COM, as well as alter the MBR and boot sector of hard disks.
    Flip can only be passed between systems on infected .EXE files. Infected .COM files, and altered floppy boot sectors do not transfer the virus.

The first time an .EXE file infected with the Flip virus is executed, it becomes memory resident in high memory. At this time, the copy of COMMAND.COM located in the C: drive root directory is infected. The system's hard disk MBR and boot sector are also slightly modified. If the infected file was executed from a floppy, COMMAND.COM on the floppy is infected, though the size change is noticeable.

Once Flip becomes memory resident, any .COM or .EXE files executed becomes infected. If a file is executed which uses an .OVL file, the .OVL file also becomes infected.

Additional Comments:
    The Flip, or Flip-2343, virus was discovered in West Germany in July 1990. It is a generic file infector, and will infect .COM, .EXE, and overlay files. This virus will also infect COMMAND.COM, as well as alter the master boot sector (partition table) and boot sector of hard disks. It is important to note that the Flip virus is not infective from .COM files or boot sectors. The first time an .EXE program infected with the Flip virus is executed, it installs itself memory resident in high memory. System memory as reported by the CHKDSK command as well as free memory will have decreased by 3,064 bytes. At this time, the copy of COMMAND.COM located in the C: drive root directory will be infected, though no file length change will be apparent with the virus in memory. The system's hard disk master boot sector and boot sector will also be slightly modified. If the infected program was executed from a floppy, COMMAND.COM on the floppy will be infected, though the size change will be noticeable. After Flip becomes memory resident, any .COM or .EXE files executed will become infected. Infected programs will show a file length increase of 2,343 bytes. If a program is executed which uses an overlay file, the overlay file will also become infected. Systems infected with Flip may experience file allocation errors resulting in file linkage errors. Some data files may become corrupted. On the second of any month, systems which were booted from an infected hard disk and have an EGA or VGA capable display adapter may experience the display on the system monitor being horizontally "flipped" between 16:00 and 16:59. Systems with hard disks which have been allocated with partitions greater than 32 megabytes in size may experience corruption of the hard disk logical partitioning. When this occurs, a partition larger than 32 megabytes may be altered to be slightly less than 32 megabytes in size. Flip can only be passed between systems on infected .EXE files. Infected .COM files, and altered floppy boot sectors do not transfer the virus. Known variant(s) of Flip are:

Symptoms 
    On the second of any month, systems which were booted from an infected hard disk and have an EGA or VGA capable display adapter may experience the display on the system monitor being horizontally "flipped" for 1 hour. Systems with hard disks which have been allocated with partitions greater than 32 megabytes in size may experience corruption of the hard disk logical partitioning. When this occurs, a partition larger than 32 megabytes may be altered to be slightly less than 32 megabytes in size.

Systems infected with Flip may experience file allocation errors resulting in file linkage errors. Some data files may become corrupted.

System memory decreases by 3,064 bytes. Infected files have a file length increase of 2,343 bytes.

Method Of Infection 
    The only way to infect a computer with a file infecting virus is to execute an infected file on the computer. The infected file may come from a multitude of sources including: floppy diskettes, downloads through an online service, network, etc. Once the infected file is executed, the virus may activate. 

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
    I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
    The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!! I had just spent 8 hours trying to solve this problem by installing virus software etc with no solution to my 'upside down' monitor.  I stumbled across this question and reply and couldn't believe it when CTRL ALT UP ARROW instantly fixed it.  Turns out my son was playing computer games and must have flipped the screen by doing this this in the first place.

A million thanks!!!!!!

• So, I'm having the same problem as the original poster. I've scanned for the Flip virus and it isn't on my computer. Also, the  Ctrl + Alt + Down/Up keys aren't the problem. I've reinstalled the video drivers which temporarily fixes the problem until the next reboot.

Has this issue been resolved yet?

Message Edited by thornhull on 07-12-2004 10:32 AM