Monitor message "MONITOR IN POWER SAVE MODE. ACTIVATE USING PC"

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Monitor message "MONITOR IN POWER SAVE MODE. ACTIVATE USING PC"

• I have been using my Dell system for 2 years and no problems until today. I now have a message on the screen which says "monitor in power save mode activate using pc". When I try using the PC nothing happens it's like it's hung (and, of course, since the monitor is in "power save mode" I cannot use the PC to activate it!).

Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, how did you resolve it?

HELP!! I need to access my PC.
  • This happened to me too...my monitor cable was loose...make sure all your cables are connected firmly
  • I am receiving the same error message and I was just wondering what did you have to do to fix the problem?  I have checked all the wires and everything and I am still receiving the same message.  If you could give me some advice that would be greatly appreciated.

• Ladonica:  It could be your monitor, but it could be that your PC isn't sending a video signal in the first place.   Many monitors don't distinguish between "power save mode" and "no signal";  the monitor manual will usually tell you what modes it displays.

The only way to verify which is the case is to swap monitors; if a known good monitor doesn't work either you'll have to troubleshoot the PC's video.  For that, try the Desktop Video forum, but please be sure to post your PC model, operating system, and what kind of video you have (integrated or a PCI card).  It would also help to post if you get any display at all (e.g., the Dell splash screen when the PC boots), or if it refuses to display anything.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/3515.aspx

'Tis a poor carpenter that blames his tools.

• I have another tower hooked up to the Dell monitor it works fine.  I only receive the error message when I hook up the Dell Dimension tower to the Dell monitor.  I know that sounds kind of weird but this is the only way I can get the monitor to work.   I really appreciate your help.

• Which means your monitor is fine.   The problem is that your Dimension is not sending a video signal.

That's not an easy problem to troubleshoot - first you have to make sure the PC actually fully powers on, and if it does at what point the video signal stops (assuming it starts at all).    If you have the manual for it handy you can look in the troubleshooting section for both power problems and diagnostic codes (manuals are also online here).  

Beyond that,  if you want to tackle it yourself, you'll have much better luck following the instructions in my post to try the desktop video forum, and be sure to post all the information (model, operating system, etc.).

'Tis a poor carpenter that blames his tools.

• Thank you for the help I will try that and see if that will help me in trying to figure out why it is not working.