Paper Jam - V515w printer

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Paper Jam - V515w printer

This question is answered

We have two V515w printers.  One has a "paper jam".    We pulled out the jammed paper and can not see any little bits of paper stuck in the printer.   However, each time we try to print it jams again.   Always on the right side of the sheet.   I am trying to figure how to take the printer apart so I can get to the innards and clear any bits of paper.   Any suggestions how to get this sucker apart?    I have removed two screws from the back and two screws which are visable when the printer is opened.   I see on the back side above where the electrical plug is inserted a small hole with a symbol of a padlock.   I am guessing that if I could get a small tool in there it might release a locking mechanism.    Does anyone have any thoughts on this?      Thanks      Dale

Verified Answer
  • Dale,

Does your printer have a duplex unit on it? If yes, in the back of the printer, press the two little tabs down and the duplex comes out.

If not, then

Unplug the printer from the wall, then remove the power brick from the back of the printer for 60 seconds. This will reset any error messages the printer is getting.

Some members have taken this time to turn the printer upside down and shake for 30 seconds. Other members have tried using a vacuum cleaner and get inside and clean out any pieces that may be inside.

They then plugged everything back in and some have had sucess.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

All Replies
  • Dale,

Does your printer have a duplex unit on it? If yes, in the back of the printer, press the two little tabs down and the duplex comes out.

If not, then

Unplug the printer from the wall, then remove the power brick from the back of the printer for 60 seconds. This will reset any error messages the printer is getting.

Some members have taken this time to turn the printer upside down and shake for 30 seconds. Other members have tried using a vacuum cleaner and get inside and clean out any pieces that may be inside.

They then plugged everything back in and some have had sucess.

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• Rick,  I am not sure sure what you mean by a "duplex unit".    Duplex  meaning two???   There are two "lids...the first to expose the scanner and the second to expose the printer ribbon.    There aren't two tabs on the back.   There are two screws which I removed.   Also there is a small rectangular hole with a small symbol of a locked padlock.   I am guessing that this might be a way to get the printer apart.   When I push a small tool into it, nothing seems to happen.

I have also tried the upside down shaking and vacuuming but to no avail.     Thanks.       Dale

• Rick, upon further reading the online manual and experimenting.   The small rectangular hole is for a cable lock...oh well.    I believe the paper is actually jamming on the bottom of the printer heads.    I used the "ok" button held down for 3 seconds to feed or eject paper from the printer.    The paper went thru the rollers but did not come out the front outfeed.   It was kinda rolled up in the area where the printheads go back and forth.   I think the printhead maybe  holds the paper down until it reaches the foward rollers where it will come out the outfeed tray.  

The paper jams appear to occur under the printer heads.   I cannot see anyway of resolving the problem.    The printerheads go left and right ok when I turn on and off the printer.    

I am always happy to listen to other suggestions.    Thanks,    Dale

• Dale,

A duplex unit allows you to print on both sides on the paper, without doing anything. I was a little backlogged, since I was away, so I didn't have time to research if this printer had the duplex unit. I'll guess not, by your description.

Try reading...

Cleaning the Printhead on Dell AIO V313w, V515w, V715w, P513w, and P713W Printers

You should be able to take the printhead out of the printer, be careful NOT to touch the printhead contacts with your fingers.

Troubleshooting Printhead Problems on the Dell AIO V313w, V515w, V715w, P513w, and P713W Printers

If the printhead is damaged, you may need a Replacement Printhead

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Rick,  thanks for your continued feedback.    I took the printhead out and cleaned it, looked for any potential damage to the printhead (nothing obvious).     Reinserted the printhead and did the "alignment" procedure and again the paper jamed up under the printhead.      Guess it is now time to look for a new printer.    Grrrr.            Dale

• hey guys

I have a Dell V515W printer too. I have been facing the same issue of the paper getting stuck near the printer head. 

i tried the above methods and finally resorted to opening up the printer.

but...

PLEASE DONT TRY TO OPEN THE PRINTER!!!!

all you need to do is to use a think brosure or any thick paper and try to clear any dust or jammed up rollers near the paper exit tray.

after this just try and it should work...

It did for me!!!

Second Method

once u open the 2nd cover (the one to access the printer head and ink cartridges..

1. just move the printer head to the right .

2. you wlll find a screw exactly under the printer head that holds the end roller in place.

3. loosen the screw and check again for some roller jam with a thick paper(above 100gsm) or for dust clogging.

4. now tighten the screw and put everything back in place and try to print..

MUST WORK..

hope this was useful..

• I have this printer and it just refuses to work. Barely used. At first I thought it was the paper so I bought the best (most expensive) printer paper I could find and the thing still won't work. Every single time it tells me Paper Jam, there is no paper jam! There's nothing down there! Waste of my money. I will never buy another Dell printer. Kinko's is right across the street.

• I had a similar problem with paper feed issues and was ready to take apart the printer. I used the thicker paper method described above (used construction paper) and held down on the "ok" button for several seconds until the paper manually feeds. It took a couple of tries but after a few in and outs, it dislodged something that was stuck in there. Glad I tried this first.