i have had this printer for years... and never has it worked fully, still new really - probably printed 4 pages total and scan has worked twice.
now i've got an AMD 6 core machine with Win 7 - 64bit and lots of ram
i have followed all the instructions ive found on these forums before, at one point i at least had it partially working, and after recent windows update now nothing works. followed all instructions again, uninstalled, cleanup w/ utility, then reinstalled, nothing.
would really appreciate any step by step instructions or pointing out where i may have gone wrong please.
in past when i have had it working partially - i could at least print and in order to scan i had to select email as attachment - never had this operable for more than a week on any machine ive tried.
if the flipping thing is just a boat anchor, somebody please tell me to stop wasting my time.
Follow the below mentioned steps to clean uninstall and reinstall the printer driver, this will help resolve most of the printer software and communication related issues:
1) Ensure the Printer USB cable is unplugged from the computer.
2) Remove the installed software from “Programs and features”.
3) Open “Devices and Printers” from start menu
4) Click “Start”, type “regedit” without quotes in Start Search, click on “regedit.exe” to open Registry Editor
5) Open Command Prompt window (type “cmd” without quotes in start search and click on cmd.exe)
6) Navigate to C:/Windows/System32/Spool folder and delete all entries (Some files might not get deleted, skip them).
7) Perform Step 5 again.
8) Now the printer drivers are completely cleaned from the system.
9) Ensure the latest drivers are downloaded and saved (Don’t install now).
10) Reboot the computer (Printer USB cable still disconnected).
11) After reboot, run driver install package.
12) Follow the on-screen instructions. Connect the Printer USB cable when prompted; ensure printer is turned on before connecting the printer cable to the computer.
13) Printer should communicate with the system now.
Please download the Dell Photo All-in-One Printer 926 driver from the link provided below:
Awaiting for a response on the results.
Thanks & RegardsKalyan S#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US; India. For Dell support videos click Here.
hello & thanks much for this response and solution
i followed your steps and have mixed results i guess to repoort after very brief testing - seems i can print so far, have to manually close printer dialogue box though, and definately cannot scan at all.
ran into difficulty with your instructions as follows - maybe that is reason??
step 4, deleting sub keys was unclear - i did delete what was inside the printer folder.
step 5, either command got access denied message - but i'm the admin for my machine?
any additional tips, or is thi sthe best i can expect from this printer?
thanks very much,
Do you have the printer disk that came with the printer?
What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it?
Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks
Welcome to Dell Community!
#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015
yes i do
what do you suggest i use from it?
The OCR Program is needed to be able to scan/fax.
As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.
hi and thanks again -
i actually had followed this instruction of yours previously from another older posting as well... but did it again just minutes ago. it uninstalled ABBY first, then reinstalled. i restarted and tested, still no luck on scanning. i tried multiple choices in the scan to pull donw menu - file, outlook, ppt, word, none did anything except scan to MS paint which opened the scan progress box and fired up the scanner lamp - made some noises however progress bar never moved off zero, there was no scan, and dialogue box had to be forced to shut.
where do i go from here? i'm sure ABBY installed right, but does it sound like the 926 drivers installed correctly?
Run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs from the queue.
Now try reading...
Update list of applications to send scans to
You need to use the Dell All-In-One Center to scan and copy from.